Karen’s Winter Scarf Free Crochet Pattern is crocheted with Medium Weight Yarn  and a 5.5 mm (I) crochet hook. This pretty textured scarf is crocheted using only single crochet, half double crochet and double crochet stitches. You can easily change the length and width of the scarf to suit your needs and there is a simple twisted headband pattern you can make that will match the scarf.
Scroll to the end of this post for the full written pattern.
Karen’s Winter Scarf Free Crochet Pattern – Scarf of the Month Club December 2019
Get Karen’s Winter Headband to make it a set! Get the Free Crochet Pattern right here.
December Scarf of the Month Club CAL Patterns
Elise Infinity Scarf Pattern (The Stitchin’ Mommy)
Karen’s Winter Scarf Crochet Pattern (scroll to the bottom of this post!)
Meira Cowl Free Crochet Pattern by Crystal at Crystalized Designs
Karen’s Winter Scarf Crochet Pattern
Create your project page on Ravelry for the Karen’s Winter Scarf Pattern here.
- Yarn: Yarnspirations. Red Heart Super Saver Ombre Yarn. (283 g) 10 oz and 482 yds (440 m). 100% Acrylic. Medium Weight Yarn . Machine wash and dry.
- Colors: 2 skeins in Anemone (E305-3965)
- Hook: 5.5 mm (I).
- Finished Project Yardage: Scarf: 380 g (14 oz) / 648 yds (591 m)
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
Scarf length approximately 84 inches X 7 inches width
Approximately 12 rows per 4 inches and 13 sts per 4 inches
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
R – row
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Helpful Video Tutorials
- This project is worked in rows.
- stitch multiple: 3 + 1 (plus 2 for the starting chain).
- after R1 you will skip all sts except the sc sts [we only work our stitch sets (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc) in the sc stitches].
Karen’s Winter Scarf Crochet Pattern Instructions
This scarf is crocheted back and forth in rows.
Using your 5.5 mm (I) hook (or size required for gauge):
R1: Ch 285, sk 2 chs (sk 2 chs counts as 1 sc) and work (1 hdc, 1 dc) in the next ch. *Sk 2 chs, work (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc) in the next ch**. Rep from * to ** across to the last 3 chs. Sk 2 chs, work 1 sc in the last ch. Turn. (283)
R2: Ch 1 (counts as 1 sc), work (1 hdc, 1 dc) in the first st. *Sk the next (1 dc, 1 hdc) and work: (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc) in the next sc.** Rep from * to ** across to the last 3 sts. Sk the next 1 dc and 1 hdc and work 1 sc into the top of the turning ch from the prev row. 
R3-R21: Rep R2. Do not finish off. Proceed to the Finishing Instructions.
At this point your scarf will be almost 7 inches wide.
This is an optional edging. You may if you prefer just finish off and weave in your ends.
Work single crochet stitches evenly around the 4 outside edges of the scarf. Finish off with an invisible join and weave in your ends.
#scarfofthemonthclub2019 #scarfofthemonthclub #crochet #freepattern #oombawkadesign #oombawkadesigncrochet @oombawkadesigncrochet #redheartyarns #joycreators #yarnspirations
If you missed any of the previous Scarf of the Month Club patterns, you can find them here:
Add your project to Ravelry! Learn how to add your project to Ravelry here.
- Tag us on Instagram at @thestitchinmommy and/or @oombawkadesigncrochet and use the hashtag #ScarfoftheMonthClub2019 to share your progress with us!
If you would like to be notified when the new free scarf patterns are published, you can sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter here:
#scarfofthemonthclub2019 #freepattern #freecrochetpattern