Winter Sky Scarf Pattern
The Winter Sky Scarf Pattern is my January Scarf of the Month Club CAL Pattern. This textured crochet scarf is worked in rows and features divided sections of post stitches. The finished scarf is warm and easy to wear.
For this project you will need Chunky Weight / Bulky Weight Yarn and a 6 mm (J) crochet hook.
Visit me next week to get the coordinating hat (the Winter Sky Hat).
Winter Sky Scarf Pattern
The Yarn I used
For my Winter Sky Scarf I used 7.6 oz (215 g) / 359 yds (327 m) King Cole Shadow Chunky yarn, in the shade Mercury (4008).
Shadow Chunky Yarn is 100% Premium Acrylic and I love the shades that were blended for each ball of yarn. There aren’t any significant color stripes or chunks as the shades flow into each other so perfectly. The colors have a bit of a watercolored look to them and there is a soft lustre to the stitches when the light hits them.
This yarn is great for winter wearables and bonus! it is machine washable and dryable too.
To see the other shades that are available visit this link.
Get the PDF for FREE today (from January 15-16) from my Ravelry Shop as part of the 2023 Monthly Scarf of the Month Club CAL. No coupon required!
Simply add the Winter Sky Scarf Pattern to your cart before January 16, 2023 at 11:59 pm ET and check your cart total = $0.00 before you check out.
Winter Sky Scarf Pattern on Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/winter-sky-scarf-2
Ravelry Link: If you missed the free PDF sign up for next month’s email reminder to get notified for our future patterns. For the CAL details scroll to the end of my post. You will find links to the patterns, schedule and supplies lists.
If you love free crochet patterns, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters too!
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE.
Subscribe to Amy’s Newsletter HERE.
If you just want to be notified of the scarf and hat CAL posts each month, Subscribe HERE.
The links to the other two Scarf of the Month Club CAL patterns are available here:
January 2023 Scarf of the Month CAL
Winter Sky Scarf Pattern
- Yarn: King Cole Shadow Chunky (check your local yarn shop here). Find it online here. (affiliate link) 3.52 oz (100 g) and 167 yds (152 m). 100% Premium Acrylic. Chunky Weight Yarn . Gentle wash at 40°. Tumble dry, normal, low heat. Dry clean, any solvent. Do not iron. Do not bleach.
- Colors: 2 skeins Mercury (Shade: 4008)
- Crochet Hook: 6 mm (J)
- Finished Project: Scarf: 7.6 oz (215 g) and 359 yds (327 m)
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle (yarn needle), Stitch Marker (optional)
Scarf width approximately 6.75 inches X 55 inches length.
Approximately 11 FPdc/BPdc per 4 inches and first 3 rows per 1.5 inches.
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
Crochet Stitch Dictionary
US Terminology used
- BPdc – back post double crochet
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- FPdc – front post double crochet
- g- grams
- hdc – half double crochet
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- R – row
- rem – remaining
- sk – skip
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
- * to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
-  – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- () – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
- Foundation double crochet multiple: 2
- I used a foundation double crochet to begin but you can easily use a foundation chain instead.
- Foundation chain multiple: 2+1
- The initial ch-2 counts as 1 hdc.
- When I work into the foundation chain, I prefer working into the back bar (back bump) of the chain. This gives the edge a more finished look and is visually the same as the top of the stitches from the final row you will be working for the scarf. You can work under the back loop only if you prefer.
- To change the scarf width, chain until you reach your desired scarf length and make sure you have a number of chains you can divide equally by 2, then add 1 additional ch.
- The back bar is also referred to as the third loop. It is the loop that is directly behind and below the back loop, on the back (WS) of the work.
Winter Sky Scarf
This project is crocheted lengthwise in rows.
Using your 6 mm (J) crochet hook (or size required for gauge):
R1: Fdc 170. Turn. [170 Fdc]
R2: Ch 2 (counts as the first hdc). *1 FPdc in the next st, 1 BPdc in the next st**. Work from * to ** across to the last st. 1 hdc in the last st. Turn. [2 hdc, 84 FPdc, 84 BPdc]
R3: Ch 2 (counts as the first hdc). *1 BPdc in the next st, 1 FPdc in the next st**. Work from * to ** across to the last st. 1 hdc in the last st. Turn. [2 hdc, 84 FPdc, 84 BPdc]
R4: RS: Ch 2 (counts as the first hdc). *1 hdc in each st across**. Finish off. [170 hdc]
R5: With RS facing, join with a sl st, ch 2 (counts as the first hdc), 1 hdc in the back bar of each st across. Finish off. [170 hdc]
R6: With RS facing, join with a sl st, ch 2 (counts as the first hdc), 1 hdc in the back bar of each st across. Finish off. [170 hdc]
R7: With RS facing, join with a sl st, ch 2 (counts as the first hdc), 1 dc in the back bar of each st across. [2 hdc, 168 dc]
R8-R13: Rep R2-R7
R14-R15: Rep R2-R3, finish off.
With RS facing, join with a sl st on the side-edge (row ends) at the corner. Make 19 sc evenly across the side edge. Sl st in the corner. Finish off.
Rep for the second side edge.
Proceed to finishing instructions.
- Finish off.
- Weave in ends.
Did you remember to make your Ravelry Project Page? (How to Make a Ravelry Project Page.)
Create your project page here for the Winter Sky Scarf
Next week I will be releasing a matching crochet hat pattern using this same yarn, so stay tuned!
2023 Monthly Scarf of the Month CAL
Get all the details about our 2023 CALs here:
Get all the details for the Scarf of the Month CAL here.
Get all the details for the Hat of the Month CAL here.
Check out the Supply List here.
If you are looking for our past Scarf of the Month Crochet Along Posts, you can find those here:
2016 Scarf of the Month Club
2017 Scarf of the Month Club
2018 Scarf of the Month Club
2019 Scarf of the Month Club
2020 Scarf and Hat of the Month Club
2021 Scarf of the Month CAL
2021 Hat of the Month CAL
2022 Scarf of the Month CAL
2022 Hat of the Month CAL
If you would like to be notified when the new free scarf patterns are published, you can sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter HERE
Happy Crocheting 🙂
Oombawka Design Crochet Free Patterns
#crochet #scarfpattern #crochetscarf #KingCole #KingColeYarn #KingColeCreations #KingColeAmbassador #scarfofthemonth #freepattern #crochetpattern #chunkyyarn #bulkyyarn
You may also love these patterns and posts:
you are very welcome!
Thank you for the beautiful pattern!