Fall just got a whole lot cuter! Crochet a pumpkin hat for all the little ones in your life and get them ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving festivities. This pattern includes clear written instructions for every size, plus some adorable embellishment ideas for an extra touch of festivity. All you need is an 5.5 mm (I) hook, some orange and green Worsted Weight yarn, and you’ll be ready to get started! Pumpkin hats are the perfect way to have your little ones join in on the fall fun.
The Pumpkin Beanie was originally designed by Danyel Pink.
This Pumpkin Hat is perfect for Fall. Whip one up to wear around Halloween or Thanksgiving! The pattern includes written instructions for ALL sizes, and comes with ideas for embellishing your little pumpkin hats. You will need an 5.5 mm (I) hook, and orange and green Worsted Weight yarn to complete this hat.
Danyel Pink has closed her crochet website (Danyel Pink Designs) and retired from the world of crochet. Oombawka Design purchased the full rights to this pattern, which means now I can share it with you.
I’m happy to be able to include the Pumpkin Hat with my other free patterns on the Oombawka Design Crochet blog.
If you, or someone you know, is retiring and closing their crochet blog, please feel free to reach out to arrange for your patterns to be included at Oombawka Design too.
Pumpkin Beanie Pattern
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice. 3.53 oz (100 g), 170 yds (155 m). 100% Acrylic. Medium Worsted Weight Yarn . Machine wash and dry. Tumble dry. Do not bleach. Dry-Cleanable.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5 mm (I)
- Finished Yardage: 130-190 yds (125-150 yds orange + 20 yds green)
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this project, just remember when you substitute the finished size of your project may also be different.
- 0-3 Months (14-15”), 3-6 Months (15-17”), 6-12 Months (17-19”), Toddler (18-20”), Child (19-21”), Adult (21-23”)
- Approximately 7 hdc and 4 rows in 2 inches
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
- BL – back loop
- ch – chain
- g – grams
- hdc – half double crochet
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- R – row
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 together (decrease)
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
- [ ] – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches; within the row – a set of instructions to be repeated the given number of times.
- ( ) – important notes AND sets of stitches
- Add the Pumpkin Beanie pattern to your Ravelry Library here.
- Pattern is written for 0-3 months with 3-6 months, 6-12 months, toddler, child, and adult sizes in parentheses.
- “Join with sc” – Put yarn on hook, insert yarn into desired stitch, pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on the hook. How to join with a single crochet tutorial.
The Free Pumpkin Hat Crochet Pattern
0-3 Months, (3-6 Months, 6-12 Months, Toddler, Child, Adult)
This project is worked in rows.
Using your 5.5 mm (I) hook (or the size required for gauge):
Using orange yarn:
Row 1: Ch 23 (25, 27, 29, 31, 35), hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in each st across, ch 1, turn. [22 (24, 26, 28, 30, 34) hdc]
Rows 2 – 24 (26, 30, 32, 36, 40): hdc in BL of each hdc across, ch 1, turn.
- Join end-to-end and sl st along the entire length of the hat, finish off.
- Turn the hat right-side out, so the seam is on the inside of the hat.
Stem (all sizes)
Using green yarn:
Join with sc at top of hat near seam. Sc evenly around (1 st per row), do not join. When you get back to 1st sc, (sc2tog, sc) continuously around until 4-5 sts remain. Now sc in each st around until you have a 1” stem, finish off.
Finishing Instructions for the Hat (all sizes)
- Optional: Single crochet evenly around the unfinished cuff edge of the hat in orange yarn for a smooth, finished look.
Vine (all sizes, optional)
Using green yarn:
Ch 15-20. Work 2-3 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each st to end. Finish off.
Finishing instructions for the Vine
- Using the starting and ending tails, tie the vine in between sts near the stem as shown.
- Crochet a leaf instead of a vine… or add a small white flower blossom to the hat.
- To vary the ribbing/texture of the pumpkin, crochet every 3rd row through both loops, or work a few rows in double crochet instead.
- Use red yarn to make an apple, blue yarn for a blueberry, yellow yarn for a bell pepper, etc.
You may also enjoy these posts:
Dress to impress this fall with our adorable crochet pumpkin hat pattern! 🎃 Perfect for the little pumpkins in your life. Simple instructions, fun embellishment ideas, and all you need is a 5.5mm hook & some colorful yarn. Let’s give ’em pumpkin to talk about! 🍂 #PumpkinHat #CrochetFun #FallAesthetic
Craft your own adorable 🎃 with our free pumpkin hat crochet pattern! Perfect for mini trick-or-treaters and tiny Thanksgiving guests! 👶 #FallFashion #CrochetMagic
Get ready to elevate the cutest factor this fall by crocheting adorable pumpkin hats for all the little ones in your life! Get them festive-ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving with this easy-to-follow pattern that includes clear instructions for every size. You can even add unique embellishments for an extra dash of holiday spirit. Simply grab your 5.5 mm (I) hook, some orange and green Worsted Weight yarn, and follow along! Pumpkin hats are a fantastic and fun way for the kids to join in on the fall festivities.
Getting creative with the Fall festivities? Try crocheting the cutest pumpkin hats for the little ones – all you need is an 5.5 mm (I) hook and some Worsted Weight yarn! #fallcrochet #pumpkinhats
Make the most of your Fall crafting with the cutest pumpkin hats for all the little ones in your life. Detailed instructions + extra embellishment ideas included – get your hooks ready! #fallcrochet #pumpkinhats