Designed as part of the Summer Quickies Crochet Along (CAL) with CAL Central Crochet, my Sweet Summer Strawberries can be crocheted in less than an hour. Make two crochet strawberries for a fun pair of quick strawberry earrings!
These crocheted strawberries take only minutes to crochet and can be used for a variety of different projects. For the Summer Quickies CAL I decided to make two crochet strawberries to create a fun pair of summer earrings but you can alternately make one to use as a pendant for a necklace, or even to hang on your purse or keychain.
The full written pattern is in my post below.
Summer Quickies CAL
Every Monday from July 3 to August 20, 2023, we’ll release a brand new free crochet pattern. You can make these special summer projects and give them away, sell them, donate them, or keep them for yourself! It should only take you an afternoon or less!
We have eight free crochet patterns for projects you can make in a day or less. So grab your crochet hooks and get ready to make something fun and new! Come join us and chat with other crocheters. Plus, you can even enter to win prizes in our giveaway.
For more information about our Summer Quickies CAL please visit this post.
Disclaimer: The yarn used for this project was given to me by Hobbii Yarn.
To make this project you’ll only need a small amount of Hobbii Friends 8/4 Mercerized yarn in 3 colors and a 3 mm (C) crochet hook.
My Sweet Summer Strawberries were made with Friends 8/4 Mercerized 100% Cotton yarn. #hobbiifriendscotton8/4mercerised
Friends 8/4 Mercerized 100% Cotton
- Super Fine 
- 50 g (1.75 oz) and 160 m (174 yds).
- Machine washable (maximum 40C / 104F); lay flat to dry.
- Hobbii Friends 8/4 Mercerized is made of 100% Cotton.
- It is OEKO-TEX® certified (no. 2276-367).
- This yarn is made out of 4 threads spun together. It is mercerized, which gives it a luxurious sheen, added strength and a reduced amount of lint from the fiber.
- It is perfect for doilies, dishcoths, potholders, rugs and totes. It also works wonderfully for garments, amigurumi and jewellery.
Hobbii Friends 8/4 Mercerized is available in 30 different colors. See all the available colors here.
The optional earring hooks I used to create my Sweet Summer Strawberry Earrings are also available from Hobbii. You can see the available earring hooks here.
The DIY Earring Kits are available in Gold color, or Silver color and along with 10 sets of earring hooks you also receive “Made by me” cards to display (or give) your handmade earrings on. The earring hole diameter is 2 mm and the hook length is 16 mm and the card size is 9 cm X 6 cm. The earring material is copper.
Sweet Summer Strawberry Earrings
- Yarn: Friends 8/4 Mercerized. 1.75 oz (50 g) and 174 yds (160 m). 100% Cotton. Super Fine (Fingering) Weight Yarn . Machine wash at max 40°C. Dry flat.
- Colors: 1 skein each in Shamrock (Color 104), Tomato (Color 40) and Sunflower (Color 24)
- Crochet Hook: 3 mm (C)
- Finished Project: Small amount of each color.
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle (yarn needle), Hobbii DIY Earring Kit in silver (optional)
- Strawberry width approximately 1 inch at widest point X 1 inch length
- Approximately 3 sc in 0.5 inch and 4 rows per 0.5 inch.
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
- BL – back loop
- CC – contrast color (Tomato)
- CC2 – contrast color 2 (Sunflower)
- ch(s) – chain(s)
- ch3sp – chain 3 space
- DMR – double magic ring (*see notes)
- FL- front loop
- g – grams
- m – meters
- MC – main color (Shamrock)
- oz – ounces
- picot – picot (*see special stitches)
- Rnd – round
- rem – remaining
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 together
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
- * to ** – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
- [ ] – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- ( ) – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
- Ch 3, sl st into the third ch from the hook.
- MC: Shamrock (Color 104) CC: Tomato (Color 40) and CC2: Sunflower (Color 24)
- I use a DMR (double magic ring) to begin my projects that are worked in the round. You may substitute a magic ring (magic circle), or a chain 3 and slip stitch to form a ring, if you prefer. Visit this post to see other options for working in rounds.
- Project is worked in continuous rounds; do not slip stitch to join at the end of the round. You may need a stitch marker to mark your place.
- When I join with a single crochet, you may substitute a slip stitch to join, chain 1 and single crochet.
- Add the Sweet Summer Strawberries Pattern to your Ravelry library here.
Sweet Summer Strawberry Earrings Pattern
This project is crocheted from the top down in continuous rounds.
Using your 3 mm (C) crochet hook (or size required for gauge):
Rnd 1: With MC: DMR: 6 sc. [6 sc]
Rnd 2: 1 sc in the BL of each st around. [6 sc]
Rnd 3: 1 sl st into the rem FL from Rnd 1, picot, 1 sl st into the same FL. *1 sl st in the next FL of Rnd 1, picot, 1 sl st in the same FL**. Work from * to ** around to create 6 leaves. [12 sl st, 6 picots]
Finish off MC.
Join CC in any st from Rnd 2.
Rnd 4: With CC: 2 sc in each st around. [12 sc]
Rnd 5: 1 sc in each st around. [12 sc]
Rnd 6: *Sc2tog, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts**. Work from * to ** around. [8 sc]
Rnd 7: 1 sc in each st around. [8 sc]
Rnd 8: *Sc2tog, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. [6 sc]
Proceed to finishing instructions.
Finishing Instructions for your Crochet Strawberry Earrings
- Finish off your CC yarn leaving about 3 inches. Thread the yarn end on a small needle and cinch the base of the strawberry closed tightly. I do this by weaving the end through the FL of each of the remaining stitches and then pulling it tightly. You can see an example here.
- Weave in remaining ends.
- With CC2 (Sunflower) hand sew small stitches on the strawberry to mimic the seeds of the strawberry. Strawberry seeds run vertically on strawberries. Finish off and weave in your ends.
- Add your earring hooks to create your Sweet Summer Strawberry Earrings. You can either attach the hook directly into the crocheted strawberry, or add a small strand of yarn to create a longer dangle between the hook and the strawberry. To make them even more fun, add a few beads to each earring.
Did you remember to make your Ravelry Project Page? (How to Make a Ravelry Project Page.)
#calcentralcrochet #crochet #freepattern #hobbiifriendscotton8/4mercerised #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
“Sweeten your style with these crochet strawberries 🍓 Handcrafted with love, these summer gems take minutes to create but last a lifetime. Perfect as earrings, necklace pendants, purse charms, or keychains – the choice is yours! Join our Summer Quickies CAL and add a fruity flair to your summer look 🌞 #StrawberryStitch #CrochetLove #SummerAccessories #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
“Crochet ’til you drop with these berry cute strawberries 🍓 Fast, fun, and perfect for summer accessories! From earrings to keychains, the possibilities are endless! #SummerQuickiesCAL 🍓🧶” #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
Discover the versatility and ease of crochet strawberries. These delightful crafts can be created in just minutes and used for a multitude of creative projects. From Summer Quickies CAL-inspired strawberry earrings to charming pendants for necklaces, these crocheted strawberries are perfect for accessorizing your summer look. Personalize your purse or keychain with a pop of color with these whimsical strawberry charms. You’ll find these strawberries a quick, fun, and satisfying project. #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn