A number of years ago I designed this Sweet as a Strawberry Baby Booties Pattern and it was published with Furls Crochet. I am now allowed to share it with you in full, right here on the blog. I hope you enjoy making these adorable baby booties!
The supplies for this project were provided to me by Furls Crochet.
Sweet as a Strawberry Baby Booties
I created the crochet pattern using a Bloodwood (4.5 mm) Alpha Series Crochet Hook from Furls and multiple colors of Berroco Weekend Yarn (Reddy, Daisy, Lemon, Forest). The yarn is spectacular to crochet with (so soft and smooth!) and the Berroco Colors are so vibrant and bright. It is a crepe, cable-plied z-plied yarn.
Some similar yarn substitutions include: Schachemayer Original Punto, Berroco Comfort, Bernat Satin or Bernat Super Value.
It was an absolute pleasure to crochet with the Berroco Yarn and Furls Bloodwood Crochet Hook.
Baby Booties Construction
The booties are worked in continuous rounds and I provided a number of tutorial photos for the bits you might need a visual to understand – like where to attach the ribbon to the slipper base.
Baby Booties Size
The Sweet as Strawberry Baby Booties Pattern is available in size: 6-12 months
Sweet as a Strawberry Baby Booties Pattern
Sweet as a summer strawberry these unique baby booties
are the perfect complement to a 6-12 month old baby’s summer outfit.
Yarn: Berroco Weekend. 3.5 oz (100 g) and 187 m (205 yds). Medium Aran Weight Yarn . 75% Acrylic, 25% Cotton. Machine wash.
Yarn Colors: Reddy, Forest, Cornsilk and Vanilla.
Finished Project: approximately 103 yards Reddy, 42 yards Forest, 2 yards Vanilla and 2 yards Cornsilk
Notions: tapestry needle, scissors, 72-inches of 3/8inch (9 mm) Satin Ribbon; stitch marker
Size 6-12 months (approximately). Finished sole measures 4.5 inches length X 2.5 inches width.
US Crochet Terminology
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- DMR – double magic ring
- fphdc – front post half double crochet
- fphdc2tog – front post half double crochet 2 stitches together
- fphdc3tog – front post half double crochet 3 stitches together
- g – grams
- hdc – half double crochet
- hdc2tog – half double crochet 2 stitches together
- m – meters
- magic ring
- oz – ounces
- rem – remaining
- Rnd – round
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- * to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
-  – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- () – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
- Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round.
- The number in [#] at the end of the round is the total number of sts in the round.
- Repeat the (instructions) the number of times specified after the closing bracket
- Do not slip stitch to join unless specified.
- This baby bootie pattern begins at the sole, and works upwards in rounds. You will complete the pattern two times to make one pair of baby booties. You will embellish one baby bootie with a flower and the 2nd baby bootie with small stitches in white yarn to make seeds.
- A photo tutorial is provided at the end of the post.
- Create your Ravelry Project Pages here.
Sweet as a Strawberry Baby Booties Pattern Instructions
- With red, ch 9, work 3 sc in 2nd ch from the hook, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 4 dc in the last st. Turn your work to allow you to continue along the bottom of the sts. Work 3 dc in the bottom of the 1st st (note: this is the same st you just worked 4 dc in the top of!), 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 sc in the end st (note: the bottom of the same st you worked 3 sc in at the beginning of this round) 
- 2 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 6 sts, 2 hdc in each of the next 7 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 7 sts 
- (1 hdc in the next st, 2 hdc in the next st)3 times, 1 hdc in each of the next 9 sts, (2 hdc in the next st, 1 hdc in the next st) 5 times, 1 hdc in each of the next 8 sts. Mark this last st with your stitch marker. Finish off and invisible join 
- With red, join yarn with 1 sc in the 3rd loop of the marked hdc st. See Photo A. 1 sc in the 3rd loop of each hdc around  See Photo B
- 1 sc in each st around 
- 1 sc in each of the first 20 sts, hdc2tog 7 times, 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts 
- 1 sc in each of the first 16 sts, sc2tog 2 times, fphdc2tog, fphdc3tog, fphdc2tog, sc2tog 2 times, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts 
- 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, ch 3, 1 sc in each remaining st around, mark the last st with a stitch marker; finish off and invisible join.  Cut a 36” length of white 3/8” (9 mm) ribbon. Thread it on a yarn needle. Insert the needle under the ch 3 on the back of the bootie and pull the ribbon through to the ribbon’s midpoint. Tie a simple knot and keep this ankle tie to the back of the slipper while you work the next rounds. See Photo C
- Notes: For R9 and R10 you will be working your sts from the inside of the bootie to the outside of the bootie (the opposite to how you would normally crochet around the slipper).If you want the leaves to be identical on each bootie you need join your yarn in the same st in R9 for each bootie. I recommend you use the stitch marker placed in R8 and choose the st immediately to the right of it as the first st of R9 if you want identical leaves on the booties.
- With green, join yarn in any st with a sc. See Photo D & E 1 sc in each st around; skipping the ch 3.
- See Photos F-J. 1 sc in the 1st st, (ch 3, skip 2 ch, 1 sc in the next ch, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sc; ch 4, skip 2 ch, 1 sc in each of the next 2 ch, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sc) repeat 5 times. Ch 3; skip 2 ch, 1 sc in the next ch, 1 sc in the next sc. Finish off and invisible join.
Strawberry Flower Pattern (make 1)
- With yellow, 5 sc in a magic ring, finish off and invisible join.
- Note: the hdc3tog worked for the petals below is done all in one stitch as a cluster; not as a decrease st
- With white, join yarn with a sl st in any st, (ch 1, hdc3tog, ch 1, sl st to the same sc) 5 times. Sl st to the 1st sc. Finish off and invisible join.
Weave in all remaining ends securely.
Baby Booties Photo Tutorial
Join with a single crochet (sc) in the third loop.
1 sc in the third loop of each stitch around.
Tie a simple knot with the ribbon.
36-inch length of white 3/8” (9 mm) ribbon. Thread it on a yarn needle. Insert the needle under the ch 3 on the back of the bootie and pull the ribbon through to the ribbon’s midpoint. Tie a simple knot.
Working from the inside to the outside of the slipper, join with a single crochet stitch.
Working around from the inside to the outside of the bootie, 1 sc in each st.
Skip 2 chains and work 1 single crochet (sc) in the next chain (ch) to make the first leaf.
Work 1 single crochet (sc) in each of the next 2 stitches.
Skip 2 chains, work 1 single crochet in each of the next 2 chains to make the next leaf. Work 1 sc in each of the next 2 single crochets.