It is incredibly easy to crochet a scrunchie. This simple ruffled crochet scrunchie pattern can be made in a matter of minutes and makes a great last-minute gift.
You can use any yarn and hook combination you want for this project.
Watch my quick video tutorial to get started (video is less than 2 minutes in length) and have fun crocheting a different colored scrunchy for every outfit.
Simple Ruffled Crochet Scrunchie Pattern
- Lion Brand, Rewind Tape Yarn. (affiliate link) 3.5 oz (100 g), 219 yds (200 m). 70% Polyester, 30% Viscose. Bulky Weight Yarn . Machine wash, lay flat to dry.
- Color: 1 skein in Hawaiian Ocean (Color: 109AI)
- Crochet Hook: 6 mm Furls Metal Streamline (affiliate link)
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker, Goody Ouchless Hair Elastic
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this project just remember when you substitute the finished size of your project may also be different.
US Terminology used
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- g – grams
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
-  – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- I begin with a standing double crochet stitch, but you can substitute a slip stitch to join to the elastic and then a ch 3 for the first double crochet.
- Sl st to join does not count as a stitch.
Simple Ruffled Scrunchie Pattern
This simple ruffled scrunchie pattern is worked around a hair elastic
Using your 6 mm (M) hook and leaving a 3 inch tail of yarn:
R1: Join with a standing dc. Make as many dc stitches as you can around the elastic. Slide the elastic as you crochet to fit extra dc stitches. This will help cover the elastic as it stretches when in use and to make a more ruffled scrunchie. I put approximately 40 dc stitches around the elastic using Bulky Weight Yarn. Sl st to the first st to join. [40 dc]
Proceed to finishing instructions.
- Finish off.
- Weave in any remaining ends securely.
#lionbrandyarns #lionbrandyarn #lionbrand #crochet #crochetallday #crochetersofinstagram #crochetscrunchie #crochetscrunchy #hairelastic #goodyhair #easygift #scrunchie #crochetpattern #freepattern