Designed as part of the Summer Quickies Crochet Along (CAL) with CAL Central Crochet, my Quick Summer Beach Bag can be crocheted in just a few hours.
Quick Summer Beach Bag
Not only is this a great quick project, it is handy too because you can use the bag right after its done to carry you favorite beach trip items, like your towel, sunscreen, book (your yarn and hook?) and don’t forget your water and hat! It gets hot on the beaches!
The full written pattern is included in my post below!
Summer Quickies CAL
Every Monday from July 3 to August 20, 2023, we’ll release a brand new free crochet pattern. You can make these special summer projects and give them away, sell them, donate them, or keep them for yourself! It should only take you an afternoon or less!
We have eight free crochet patterns for projects you can make in a day or less. So grab your crochet hooks and get ready to make something fun and new! Come join us and chat with other crocheters. Plus, you can even enter to win prizes in our giveaway.
For more information about our Summer Quickies CAL please visit this post.
Disclaimer: The yarn used for this project was given to me by Hobbii Yarn.
To make this project you’ll only need 233 yds (213 m) of Hobbii Ribbon Yarn and a 6 mm (J) crochet hook.
My Quick Summer Beach Bag was made with Hobbii Ribbon Yarn. To make a solid colored bag, you’ll need less than 2 balls of yarn. If you want to recreate my design, you’ll need 2 balls of the main color (MC) and 1 ball of a contrasting color (CC).
- Bulky Weight Yarn 
- 250 g (8.8 oz) and 125 m (137 yds).
- Machine washable (maximum 40C / 104F); lay flat to dry.
- Hobbii Ribbon Yarn is made of 100% pure, high quality Cotton.
- It is OEKO-TEX® certified (no. 2076-311).
- This yarn is a flat knit tube that is soft, yet durable.
- It is perfect for tote bags, baskets, pillows, and other household items like pot holders.
Hobbii Ribbon Yarn is available in more than 50 different colors. See all the available colors here.
I love combining different fibers in my projects where I can and adding the small amount of Paulina Paper Yarn to the flower for the bag did the trick! This paper yarn can be used for lots of different projects and bonus! it is recyclable as paper waste. I’m curious as to how it will crochet and was thinking about trying to make some coasters and then maybe a basket.
Quick Summer Beach Bag Pattern
- Yarn: Hobbii Ribbon Yarn. 8.8 oz (250 g) and 137 yds (125 m). 100% Cotton. Bulky Weight Yarn . Machine wash at max 40°C. Dry flat. Hobbii Paulina Paper Yarn. 1.75 oz (50 g) and 92 yds (85 m).
- Colors: Ribbon Yarn: 2 skeins Color 21 (Light Sand) and 1 skein Color 30 (Clear Blue); Paulina Paper Yarn: 1 skein Color 04 (Yellow)
- Crochet Hook: 6 mm (J)
- Finished Project: Beach Bag (total yarn used): 14.9 oz (425 g) and 233 yds (213 m); Light Sand Color: 11.2 oz (318 g) and 174 yds (159 m) ; Clear Blue: 3.7 oz (107 g) and 59 yds (54 m).
- Optional Flower: Clear Blue: 0.2 oz (6 g) and 11 yds (10 m); small amount of Paulina Paper yarn.
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle (yarn needle), Optional: Flower Loom
- Beach Bag width approximately 14.5 inches X 16.5 inches length measured on a flat surface.
- Strap width approximately 2 inches X 31 inches length.
- Approximately 7 dc in 4 inches and 6 rows per 4 inches.
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
- ch(s) – chain(s)
- dc – double crochet
- DMR – double magic ring (*see notes)
- g – grams
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- R – row
- Rnd – round
- RS – right side
- rem – remaining
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
- * to ** – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
- [ ] – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- ( ) – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
- Stitch multiple: 2
- MC: Light Sand (Color 21) and CC: Clear Blue (Color 30)
- I use a DMR (double magic ring) to begin my projects that are worked in the round. You may substitute a magic ring (magic circle), or a chain 3 and slip to form a ring, if you prefer. Visit this post to see other options for working in rounds.
- The initial ch 3 counts as 1 dc.
- The initial ch 4 counts as 1 dc and 1 ch1sp.
- Slip stitch to the first st of the round to join. Make your sl st to join tightly.
- When I join with a single crochet, you may substitute a slip stitch to join, chain 1 and single crochet.
- Add the Quick Summer Beach Bag Pattern to your Ravelry libary here.
Quick Summer Beach Bag Crochet Pattern
This project is crocheted from the bottom to the top, in joined rounds, in one piece.
Using your 6 mm (J) crochet hook (or size required for gauge):
Rnd 1: RS: With CC: DMR: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 11 dc. Sl st to join. 
Rnd 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) and 1 dc in the first st. 2 dc in each rem st around. Sl st to join. [24 dc]
Rnd 3: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) and 1 dc in the first st, 1 dc in the next st. *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in the next st**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. [36 dc]
Rnd 4: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) and 1 dc in the first st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts. *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. Finish off CC. [48 dc]
Rnd 5: With MC: Join with a sl st in any st. Ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and 1 ch1sp). (1 dc, ch 1) in each st around. Sl st to join. [48 dc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 6 – Rnd 23: Ch 4 (counts as 1 dc and 1 ch1sp), sk the next ch1sp. *1 dc in the next st, ch 1, sk the next ch1sp**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. [48 dc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 24: Ch 1 (does not count as a st). *1 sc in the next st, ch 1, sk the next ch1sp**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. [48 sc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 25: *Ch 1, sk the next st, 1 sc in the next ch1sp**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to the initial ch1sp to join. Finish off. [48 sc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 26: With CC: Join with a sc (*see notes) in the first ch1sp, ch 1, sk the next st. *1 sc in the next ch1sp, ch 1, sk the next st**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st join. [48 sc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 27: *Ch 1, sk the next st, 1 sc in the next ch1sp**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to the initial ch1sp to join. [48 sc, 48 ch1sp]
Rnd 28: Ch 1 (does not count as a st). *1 sc in the next ch1sp, ch 1, sk the next st**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to join. [48 sc, 48 ch1sp]
Do not finish off. We will now begin the strap for the bag. It is worked in rows.
Beach Bag Strap
R1: Ch 1, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts (note: we count each ch1sp as a st). Ch 1, turn. [5 sc]
R2-R87: 1 sc in each st across, ch 1, turn. Finish off leaving a long tail for attaching the strap to the bag. [5 sc]
Count 43 stitches over (to the left) from the edge of the strap (where it is attached to the bag). Without twisting the strap, whipstitch the end of R87 to the Beach Bag.
Proceed to finishing instructions.
- Weave in remaining ends.
- Add a decorative flower and/or magnetic closure to the bag if desired.
Optional Decorative Flower
To make the optional decorative flower I used my Ayasee Flower Loom Kit.
Here are some images to show you how I made mine in case you have a loom and want to give it a try.
I used my Hobbii Ribbon Yarn in Clear Blue, for the flower petals and then I used the Paulina Paper for the center of the flower.
If you’d like to add a little bit more texture you can add the Hobbii Paulina Paper Yarn base beneath the flower.
I created a bundle of Paulina Paper Yarn by wrapping it lengthwise around a credit card / banking card (10 times around). I tied a small length of the Paulina Paper Yarn tightly around the strands on the one side edge, then cut the strands on the other side edge.
I tied the bundle to the back of the flower, then placed the flower with the bundle on top of the bag and sewed it to the bag. You can alternately hot glue it to the bag. I used a sewing needle and sewing thread to attach my flower to the Quick Summer Beach Bag.
Did you remember to make your Ravelry Project Page? (How to Make a Ravelry Project Page.)
#hobbiiribbon #hobbiipaulina #calcentralcrochet #summerbag #beachbag #crochet #freepattern #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
Sun? Check! Sand? Check? Quick Summer Beach Bag? Double Check! 🏖️ Stitch up your own beach bag and carry your beach essentials in style 😎. Free crochet pattern available! #BeachReady #CrochetGoals #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
Who knew that your crochet skills can make your beach visit more fun? With the Quick Summer Beach Bag, carry not only your beach essentials but your crochet passion as well. Find the full free pattern in my post and get beach-ready in a few hours. 🌞🏖️👒 #summerquickiesCAL #sponsored @hobbii_yarn
🌞🏖️ Crochet a beach worthy tote bag in just a few short hours! All you need is some Hobbii Ribbon Yarn, a 6 mm crochet hook and my free pattern. 😎 Carry all your essentials in style in the Quick Summer Beach Bag! #crochet #freepattern #sponsored #summerquickiesCAL #hobbiiribbon #calcentralcrochet @hobbii_yarn