[disclaimer] Disclaimer: The yarn used in this post was given to me by Red Heart. [/disclaimer]
My children both want to wear a poppy this year for their Remembrance Day Assembly at school. The poppies available here are on straight pins which are not very suitable for little children who are active (or curious) so I decided to whip up a few small ones for them to wear tomorrow.
These poppies use medium weight yarn and a 5 mm (H) crochet hook – they take about 10 minutes to make. They are pretty simple to make once you understand how to make the petals. I’ve included some images below to help you make your own poppies too. You can use these for Remembrance Day or Veteran’s Day on November 11th.
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Yarn(Colors: Red and Black) [100% Acrylic, 5 oz/141 g; 236 yds/215 m]  Medium Weight Yarn
- Hook: 5 mm (H) Furls Odyssey Gold
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, safety pin or brooch clasp, sewing needle and thread
2 inches across from petal edge to petal edge
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size of your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
DMR – double magic ring
MR – magic ring
R – row
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st/sts – stitch/stitches
yo – yarn over
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
Helpful Video Tutorials
- you work in the back bump of the chain stitches
- when you are pulling the yarn through all 15 loops on your hook you will want to grasp those 15 loops and pull down to create the room needed to slide the yo all the way along the loops to the other side
- the poppy is worked in rows and then cinched together to form the flower
- the center of the poppy is created with a double magic ring and sc stitches
Last Minute Poppy Pin Pattern Instructions
See photo tutorial at the end of the post!
Petal 1: With Red, Ch 9. Yarn over and insert your hook in the back bump of the third ch from the hook, yo and pull up 1 loop. *Yarn over, insert your hook into the back bump of the next ch, yo and pull up 1 loop**. Rep from * to ** 5 more times. You will have 15 loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through all 15 loops. Ch 1 to close the petal.
Petal 2-4: Rep Petal 1, finish off and leave a long tail to assemble.
Thread your yarn tail on your yarn needle and weave the needle in and out through the petal like this:
Repeat for each of the 4 petals. Pull the yarn end to tighten them to form the flower shape. Join Petal 1 and Petal 4 to create a circle and weave in your remaining ends.
Create a Double Magic Ring and make 5 sc into the ring. Sl st to the initial sc to join. Finish off leaving a tail of yarn for assembly.
Place the black center in the middle of the red poppy and stitch them together securely. Weave in ends.
Using thread and sewing needle sew the safety pin (the side that does not open) to the back of the poppy securely OR attach your pin (brooch) back and sew to the back of the poppy.