If you’re brand new to crochet and you’ve never picked up a crochet hook, then my step-by-step How to Crochet series was made for you.
How to Crochet for Absolute Beginners
Ready to jump right in? Grab your yarn and the crochet hook listed on the label (or a size larger) and follow these 2 simple steps to get started on your new hobby:
2 Simple Steps to Begin Crocheting Now!
- Learn how to make a slip knot and how to hold your yarn and hook and how to chain your first stitches. Video here.
- Learn how to single crochet and how to crochet the second row. Video here.
When you are ready to go into more detail you can learn everything you need to know in my indepth Beginner Crochet Series (below). It includes tutorials (photo and video) for the most commonly used crochet stitches, plus some extra tips and tricks I’ve picked up along the way!
Each Crochet Lesson link opens a new post from me that will teach you with videos and photos how to crochet, step-by-step.
What is the best size yarn for beginner crochet?
Answer: I recommend a good Medium / Worsted Weight yarn for your beginner crochet practise stitches. Acrylic yarn can stand up to a lot of unwinding and reworking. Animal fibers (like wool) and cottons have a tendancy to shed a bit more with ripping out and making your stitches over which an lead to tangles. So for learning, I find a solid Medium Weight Yarn is the easiest yarn to start with. Some examples are: Red Heart Super Saver, or Bernat Super Value. They are dependable and strong and will help you to learn and see your stitches.
What stitches should a beginner crocheter know?
Answer: The six most commonly used crochet stitches are the chain stitch (ch), single crochet stitch (sc), half double crochet stitch (hdc), double crochet stitch (dc), treble crochet stitch (tr) and slip stitch. These are the US crochet stitch names, for the UK stitch names visit this post.
My Full Beginner Crochet Lesson Plan
This will show you everything you need to know to crochet. For more advanced stitches, or help in a specific technique check out my free online crochet stitch dictionary here. Some of these lessons also include printable cheat sheets and guides.
- Lesson 1: the starting chain
- Lesson 2: single crochet stitch
- Lesson 3: half double crochet
- Lesson 4: double crochet stitch
- Lesson 5: triple crochet stitch
- Lesson 6: slip stitch
- Lesson 7: Review
- Lesson 8: slip stitch join
- Lesson 9: single crochet join
- Lesson 10: half double crochet join
- Lesson 11: double crochet join
- Lesson 12: triple crochet join
- Lesson 13: magic ring tutorial
Quick Crochet Stitch Refreshers
Sometimes you don’t need to see a video, or to browse through an entire photo tutorial to crochet. Sometimes you just need a short written, or visual reminder to see how it should be done.
Learn How to Crochet YOUR Way
I truly believe that everyone learns differently. Just like some of us prefer learning from books and photos and some of us prefer learning from videos.
One style of teaching might work for your friends, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the same teaching style will be right for you.
That’s ok though, because there are so many fabulous online sources to help you learn how to crochet. I encourage to find the tutorials that follow the teaching style you prefer.
I’ve started you off with some helpful online tutorials, free crochet guides and teaching videos in my post below. So keep reading if you are still looking for help!
You can also leave me a comment if can’t find what you need – I’d be happy to share links to reputable crochet sites that I’ve come across in the past 11 years. Someone in our crochet community is sure to have exactly what you need!
I created my Free Crochet Tutorials and Patterns website to give you as many tutorial options as possible, so if you can’t find the tutorial that is right for you below, I recommend you pop over to that site.
Extra online crochet resources
If my Beginner Crochet Lessons weren’t for you, that’s ok 🙂 Here are some other online crochet resources that can help you become a crocheter.
Learn how to crochet with Video Tutorials
- Learn to Crochet Right Handed (with Moogly), Left Handed (with Moogly)
- Meladora’s Creations – Learn How To Crochet – With Slow Motion
- BobWilson123 – Learning the Basics and Beginner Projects
- The Crochet Crowd – Learn Crochet Basics: The Crochet Crowd Tutorials
- Sheruknittingcom – Crochet Basics – Tutorials for Beginners
Learn How to Crochet with Photo tutorials
- Planet June – Crochet Basics – Right Handed
- Craftyminx – Crochet School
- Crochet Spot – How to Crochet
- Learn to Crochet – Red Heart Yarn
How to Crochet Guides
Martingale has an entire series of downloadable crochet guides (PDFs) available to show you how to crochet.
Download these great crochet guides below:
Here are some great places to visit for quick crochet stitch refreshers:
- How to Crochet Quick Stitch Guide
- Crochet Stitches – For Dummies
- Crochet Pattern Central – Stitch Tutorials Written
- Crochet Terms + Tutorials – The Purl Bee
- Crochet Me – Glossary
- Hass Design – Basic Crochet Stitches
You can also find crochet stitches, tutorials and techniques from yarn companies.
Crochet Tutorials and Techniques from Yarn Companies and Publishers
- Leisure Arts – Crochet Tips & Techniques
- Annies – Stitch Guide – Crochet Lessons
- Lion Brand Yarn – Learn How to Crochet
- DROPS Crocheting Videos
- Pierrot Yarns – Crochet Symbols & Video Files (scroll to the bottom)
You may also enjoy these posts: