This post includes the It’s A Cowl Thing Free Pattern. This versatile crochet project can be worn as a cowl, a hooded cowl or even a shoulder wrap!
It’s A Cowl Thing!
Free Cowl Pattern –
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarns Unique (colorway: PotPourri). Bulky  Weight Yarn. 109 yds (100 m); 3.5 oz (100 g). 100% Acrylic. Lay Flat to Dry, Machine Wash.
- Suggested Substitutions for Lion Brand Unique Yarn: Red Heart: Soft Essentials, Soft Essentials Stripes; Cascade Yarns: Anthem Chunky; Red Heart: Comfort Chunky; Premier Yarns: Serenity Chunky Tweeds; Mary Maxim: Titan; Red Heart: Reflective; Phildar: Phil Partner 6; Knit Picks: Brava Bulky; Red Heart: Dreamy; Caron: X Pantone; Lion Brand: Color Made Easy,
- Yardage: 270 meters or 295 yards (so almost 3 balls)
- Hook: 9.0 mm (M/N)
- Yarn Needle
17″ tall, 28″ wide (before folding and seaming); after folding and seaming it will be 14″ wide
3.4 rows = 4 inches
8.5 sts = 4 inches
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
Fdc – foundationless double crochet
R – row/round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
Options: Add a Fringe to the bottom edge! When I originally designed this project I had intended the bottom to have a fringed edge. I was planning on cutting 3 strands of yarn, each 12-inches in length and adding them to the base of every 3rd stitch around the bottom edge. If you do try it I would love to see the finished look!
If you really do not like, or have success with, the crab stitch, try this stitch from my friend Kinga at My Hobby Is Crochet:
This can be worn in SO many ways! Scroll to the end of the post for some extra photos!
It’s A Cowl Thing Pattern Instructions
R1: 60 Fdc, turn 
R2: Ch 3, 1 dc in each st across, turn 
R3-R20: Rep R2
R21: Ch 1, and working back across the last row work 1 row of Crab Stitch, finish off and weave in ends. 
Fold your project in half, with the unfinished side edges touching and the right sides of the project facing inward. Whip stitch down the side seam to create a tube. Finish off and weave in the ends.
Join your yarn with a sl st anywhere on the R1 edge (the beginning edge) with the RS (the pretty side of your project) facing outward. Ch 1 and work 1 round of crab stitch on this edge. Finish off and weave in ends.