This Herringbone Half Double Scarf Pattern is perfect for beginner crocheters! This project can be made with any yarn and hook combination and this easy crochet stitch creates a finished fabric with subtle texture.
Be sure to check my “You can use any yarn and hook to make this project!” section at the end of the post. I explain how you can use any yarn and hook to make your project. Plus, you can make this in any size, just by changing the number of starting chains, or the number of rows you crochet.
Find the full written crochet pattern, which is available for free, in my post below.
Disclaimer: The yarn used for this project was given to me by King Cole.
King Cole yarn is available from your local yarn shop, or online at the links in my post below.
Herringbone Half Double Scarf
The Yarn I used for this project:
For my Herringbone Half Double Scarf I used 5.9 oz (168 g) and 366 yds (336 m) of King Cole Drifter Aran yarn.
King Cole Drifter Aran Yarn is available in 11 different colors. It is a blended yarn, made up of Premium Acrylic (79%), Cotton (17%) and Wool (4%). It is easy to work with and the colors are muted and soft.
This yarn is beautifully soft and has a pretty lustre to it. The thickness of the strand was consistent for the entire project and I did not run into any knots or tangles as I worked from the center of the ball.
My stitches have great stitch definition and I did not find the yarn splitty while crocheting; it retained its structure well.
If you are new to King Cole Yarns and you are interested in trying one of their products, I definitely recommend the Drifter line of yarns. They have Drifter available in 4ply, DK for Baby, DK, Drifter Aran and Chunky and they also have Drifter in Subtle for Chunky and DK. The Subtle Drifter line has a gentle two-tone appearance in a single shade; instead of the variegated appearance of the Drifter line.
Here are the other patterns I have designed using Drifter Yarn:
- Annie’s Simple Crochet Hat Pattern (sizes baby to adult)
- Drifter Scarf Pattern
- Drifter Hat Pattern
- Sweet Serenity Hat
- Sweet Serenity Triangle Scarf
- Carolyn Slouch Hat
- Wendy Hat Pattern
- Between Seasons Scarf
- Between Seasons Hat
Get the PDF for FREE today (from November 19-20) from my Ravelry Shop as part of the 2023 Monthly Scarf of the Month Club CAL. No coupon required!
Simply add my Herringbone Half Double Scarf Pattern to your cart before November 20, 2023 at 2359 ET and check your cart total = $0.00 before you check out.
Herringbone Half Double Pattern on Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/herringbone-half-double-scarf/
If you missed the free PDF sign up for next month’s email reminder to get notified for our future patterns. For the CAL details scroll to the end of my post. You will find links to the patterns, schedule and supplies lists.
If you love free crochet patterns, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters too!
The links to the other two Scarf of the Month Club CAL patterns are available here:
November 2023 Scarf of the Month CAL
Herringbone Half Double Crochet Scarf
- Yarn: King Cole Drifter Aran. (check your local yarn shop here). 3.52 oz (100 g) and 218 yds (200 m). 79% Premium Acrylic, 17% Cotton and 4% Wool. Aran Weight Yarn . Machine wash gentle at 40°C. Tumble dry low heat. Do not iron. Do not bleach. Dry clean any solvent.
- Color: 2 skeins Alps (Shade: 4180)
- Crochet Hook: 5 mm (H)
- Finished Project: Scarf: 5.9 oz (168 g) and 366 yds (336 m)
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle (yarn needle)
- Scarf width approximately 5.75 inches X 72 inches length.
- Approximately 12 sts per 4 inches and 12 rows per 4 inches worked in stitch pattern
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
- ch(s) – chain(s)
- g – grams
- hhdc – herringbone half double crochet
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- R – row
- RS – right side
- rem – remaining
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip/skipped
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- WS – wrong side
- yds – yards
- * to ** – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
- [ ] – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- ( ) – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Herringbone Half Double Crochet (hhdc)
Yarn over the hook, insert the hook into the next st (or chain space), yarn over and pull up 1 loop and pull that same loop through the first loop on your hook. Yarn over and pull through the last 2 loops on your hook.
- Stitch multiple of 1
- The initial ch 2 counts as 1 hhdc
- When I work into the foundation chain, I prefer working into the back bar (back bump) of the chain. You can work under the back loop only if you prefer.
- To make this scarf longer, chain more stitches. To make this scarf wider, work more rows. Finish off after working an odd numbered row to have the top and bottom edges match.
- Add the Herringbone Half Double Scarf to your Ravelry Library here.
Herringbone Half Double Scarf Pattern
This project is crocheted lengthwise in rows.
Using your 5 mm (H) crochet hook (or size required for gauge):
R1: RS: Ch 218, sk the first 2 chs (counts as 1 hhdc), 1 hhdc in each rem ch across, turn. [217 hhdc]
R2-R17: Ch 2 (counts as 1 hhdc), 1 hhdc in each st across, turn. [217 hhdc]
Proceed to finishing instructions.
- Weave in ends.
You can use any yarn and hook to make this project!
- With the yarn and hook you’ve chosen for the project, chain until you reach the length you’d like for your scarf (shawl, or blanket), or chain until your length measures 72 inches.
- Follow the pattern as written.
- Continue crocheting until your project is the width you would like it to be, or until it measures approximately 6 inches wide after you have completed an odd number of rows.
- Finish off and weave in your ends.
Did you remember to make your Ravelry Project Page? (How to Make a Ravelry Project Page.)
Next week I will be releasing a matching hat, so stay tuned!
2023 Monthly Scarf of the Month CAL
Get all the details about our 2023 CALs here:
If you are looking for our past Scarf of the Month Crochet Along Posts, you can find those here:
2016 Scarf of the Month Club
2017 Scarf of the Month Club
2018 Scarf of the Month Club
2019 Scarf of the Month Club
2020 Scarf and Hat of the Month Club
2021 Scarf of the Month CAL
2021 Hat of the Month CAL
2022 Scarf of the Month CAL
2022 Hat of the Month CAL
If you would like to be notified when the new free scarf patterns are published, you can sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter HERE
Happy Crocheting 🙂
#crochet #scarfpattern #crochetscarf #KingCole #KingColeYarn #KingColeCreations #KingColeAmbassador #scarfofthemonth #freepattern #crochetpattern #aranweight #aran #easycrochet
You may also love these patterns and posts:
Wrap yourself in style and comfort with this Herringbone Half Double Scarf – the perfect project for beginner crocheters! Create subtle texture with any yarn and hook combination and elevate your crochet game!🧶 #CrochetLife #StitchWithStyle
This easy crochet stitch creates a finished fabric with subtle texture. Try this Herringbone Half Double Scarf Pattern for beginner crocheters and get creative with any yarn + hook combination! Start your project today with confidence.
New to crochet? No worries! 🌟 Embrace the chilly vibes with this super easy Herringbone Half Double Scarf Pattern! Perfect for beginners and adaptable to any yarn or hook combo! ❄️🧣 Enjoy weaving warmth with a subtle texture! 💁♀️ Let’s get hooked on crochet! 🧶 #CrochetBeginner #DIYScarf