Get creative and make a one-of-a-kind crocheted backpack for yourself or a friend. From simple and classic designs to adorable and fun patterns, you’ll find a free backpack crochet pattern to suit your needs in this collection.
I love how versatile backpacks are – I mean you can use them for back-to-school but you can also use them to carry your water, wallet and hand sanitizer so you can have your hands free when you go for a walk around the block.
You may also want to use backpacks to to carry your WIPs (works in progress) or to carry (or store) your children’s toys and books.
One of my favorite ways to use a backpack is to use it as a gift bag for a child’s birthday.
I have included links to an assortment of different free backpack crochet patterns below. Some of these are fun (like the Cow Backpack), some of these are small (like the Mini Backpack), some of these are perfect for gift bags (like the Lamb Cinched Backpack) and some are stylish and trendy (like the Chevron Backpack).
Free Backpack Crochet Patterns
Cow Backpack Crochet Pattern
Striped Mini-Backpack Pattern
Lamb Cinched Backpack Pattern
Wanderlust Chevron Backpack Pattern
This fashionable chevron backpack was designed by Jennifer Renaud. It is crocheted with Medium Weight Yarn  and a 4 mm (G) hook. You will also need a 3.5 mm (E) hook. The finished backpack measures 9.75 inches wide X 12 inches high X 4.25 inches deep.
Cinch Stripes Backpack Pattern
Red Heart Patch Backpack
Make this great Patch Backpack with Medium Weight Yarn  and a 5 mm (H) crochet hook. This project is worked using the kernal stitch. The finished backpack measures 11 inches wide X 14 inches tall X 9 inches deep.
This adorable Panda Backpack was designed by Erangi Udeshika. The project calls for Worsted Weight Yarn  and a 5.5 mm (I) crochet hook. The finished project measures 9 inches high X 8.75 inches wide.
More Free Backpack Crochet Patterns
- The Little Wanderer’s Knapsack. This totally cute backpack was designed by Sarah Watson and it is crocheted with Medium Weight Yarn  and a 6 mm (J) and a 5 mm (H) hook. The pattern includes many photos to help with the project and you can make the straps of this backpack any size to have a mini backpack for teens and adults. Get the free pattern here.
- Koala: Backpack and Bag. This sweet little Koala Backpack designed by Hi Sheep can also be made as a crossbody bag. The pattern is crocheted with Medium Weight Yarn  and a 3 mm and 4 mm (G) hook. Get the free pattern here.
- The Birds Pattern. This stunning mochila backpack bag was designed by Priscilla Bradburn. You will need Sport Weight Yarn  and a 2 mm hook. The pattern includes graphs for both left and right handed crocheters. Get the free pattern here.
- The Betty Backpack. Designed by Evelyn and Peter, this pretty textured backpack is crocheted with Worsted Weight Yarn  and a 5 mm (H) crochet hook. The finished bag measures 9.5 inches wide X 10 inches high X 3.5 inches deep. Get the free pattern here.
- Herringbone Crochet Backpack. This modern and stylish backpack was designed by hanjan Crochet. The finished backpack measures 13.5 inches wide X 13 inches long X 3 inches deep. For the project you will need Aran Weight Cotton Yarn  and a 4.5 mm hook. Get the free pattern here.
- Wildrose Backpack. Designed by All About Ami, the Wildrose Backpack was crocheted with Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn  and a 2.75 mm crochet hook and a 3.75 mm crochet hook. The finished back-pack measures 11 inches wide X 12.5 inches tall X 22 inches circumference. Get the free pattern here.
- Amarillo Backpack. Mama in a Stitch designed this drawstring backpack using Worsted Weight Wool  and a 5.50 mm (I) crochet hook. The finished knapsack measures 16 inches tall X 12 inches wide and her post includes a helpful photo tutorial. Get the free pattern here.
- Crossbody Backpack Pattern. Designed by Brianna at Life and Yarn, this unique crossbody backpack is crocheted with Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn  and a 4 mm (G) hook. The finished bag measures 17 inches deep X 15 inches wide and it has a 35 inch strap. Get the free pattern here.
- Chevron Backpack. Designed by Elaine Phillips, this tapestry crochet backpack is crocheted with Fingering Weight Yarn  and a 3.25 mm (D) crochet hook. Get the free pattern here.
- Rainbow Dragon Backpack (crocodile stitch!). This super unique backpack is crocheted with Sport Weight Yarn  and a 3.5 mm (E) crochet hook. The pattern includes a video tutorial to help you with the crocodile stitch in rounds. Get the free pattern here.Watch the video here.
- Backpack Pattern. This traditional style backpack pattern designed by Raine Eimre is one of my favorites. It has wider straps and a button closure. Raine has a YouTube tutorial to help you with this and a full written pattern. You will need Bulky Weight Yarn  and a 6 mm (J) hook. Raine used Bernat Maker Home Dec Yarn. Get the free pattern here.
How to Crochet a Backpack
You may also like these free patterns:
- Free Crochet Backpack Patterns
- Featuring an Adorable Panda Backpack Crochet Pattern
- Get 10 Free Crochet Bag Patterns Today
You may also be interested in these (not free) crochet backpacks: