Free Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern. December Scarf of the Month Club.
Happy December Crocheters! This post includes my Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern. This free cowl pattern uses one ball of Bernat Pop! yarn and a 5 mm (H) hook. This post also includes the links to the other 2 free crochet patterns for this month’s #scarfofthemonthclub2018 CAL.
Scroll to the end of this post for my free Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern or watch the YouTube Video for the Candy Cane Twist Cowl Stitch Pattern here.
Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern
Welcome to our December Scarf of the Month Club Event! This month we have 3 brand-new free crochet patterns for you to make. We hope you enjoy making these beautiful scarves and cowls. I hope you join us again in 2019 for our Annual Scarf CAL!
Learn how you can add your project to Ravelry.
Here are your 3 December Scarf of the Month Club Scarves!
Get Amy’s Scarf of the Month Pattern Here > Sugar Plum Cowl Pattern
Get Pia’s Bonus Scarf of the Month Pattern Here > Candy Cane Mobius Cowl Pattern
Create your Project Page on Ravelry for the Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern
Scarf of the Month Club 2018 – December
Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern Instructions
- Yarn: Bernat Pop! (5 oz/140 g; 280 yds/256 m), 100% Acrylic. Medium Weight Yarn . Color: Mistletoe
- Hook: 5 mm (H). I used this hook.
- Finished Project Yardage: 140 g; 280 yds
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
Length: 26 inches
Width: 9 inches
approximately 4 sets of (fpsc, ch 3, 3 dc) in 4 inches
approximately 4 rows in 4 inches
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size of your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
ch3sp – chain 3 space
dc – double crochet
R – row
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Helpful Video Tutorials
Skip to these Spots in the Video:
Row 1: https://youtu.be/W4FjzjFHBM4?t=45
Row 2: https://youtu.be/W4FjzjFHBM4?t=202
Row 3: https://youtu.be/W4FjzjFHBM4?t=307
- Stitch Tutorial available on YouTube here.
- Stitch Multiple: 4 + 3
- This stitch looks amazing in lighter weight yarn to make a baby blanket too – you can see an example of a finished baby blanket using the same stitch pattern online by searching for the Crystal Waves baby blanket.
Candy Cane Twist Cowl Pattern
We begin by crocheting our foundation chain row. Then we work back and forth in rows for the remainder of the project before seaming the two edges with a simple whipstitch seam.
R1: Ch 39, 2 dc in the fourth ch from the hook (sk 3 chs count as 1 dc). *Sk 3 ch, (1 sc, ch 3, 3 dc in the next ch).** Rep from * to ** across to the last 3 chs. Sk 2 chs, 1 sc in the last ch. Turn. [27 dc, 9 sc, 8 ch3sp)
R2-R55: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) and 2 dc in the first sc. *Sk 1 sc, sk 2 dc, 1 FPsc in the next dc, ch 3, 3 dc in the next ch3sp.** Rep from * to ** across to the last sc and 3 dc. Sk 1 sc and sk 2 dc, 1 sc in the ch3sp. Turn. [27 dc, 1 sc, 8 FPsc, 8 ch3sp)
Finish off leaving an 8-10 inch tail of yarn for seaming. Fold the rectangle in half until the edges of R1 and R55 touch and using your yarn end and yarn needle, whipstitch the two edges closed. Weave in any ends.
If you would like a longer scarf, simply continue working R2 until you reach your desired length before seaming with a whipstitch join method. Weave in ends.
If you would prefer to watch the video on YouTube, it is available HERE.
Here are all the free scarf patterns from 2016 and 2017:
Where To Share Your #SCARFOFTHEMONTHCLUB2018 Progress Online
- Ravelry – Create your project pages HERE
- Instagram and tag us! @thestitchinmommy and/or @oombawkadesign
- Facebook Crochet With Us CAL Group (ask questions and share here!)
- Share using #SCARFOFTHEMONTHCLUB2018 (so we can search online for it!)
If you would like to be notified when the new free scarf patterns are published, you can sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter >HERE<
#freepattern #scarfofthemonthclub2018 #crochet
I think this candy cane twist cowl is interesting. I will be making this soon.