2022 Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf
The 2022 Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf is my February Scarf of the Month Crochet Along Pattern. This soft, warm and cozy scarf is a very quick project to make. You can have a finished scarf in about an hour.
The jumbo weight yarn scarf is crocheted in rows, using herringbone half double crochet stitches. The stitch provides an interesting design without adding any extra bulk to the finished scarf.
To make my 2022 Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf you will need Jumbo Weight Yarn  and a 15 mm (P/Q) hook.
If you love free crochet patterns, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters too!
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE.
Subscribe to Amy’s Newsletter HERE.
If you just want to be notified of the scarf and hat CAL posts each month, Subscribe HERE.
Disclaimer: The yarn used to create this project was given to me by King Cole.
King Cole yarn is available from your local yarn shop, or online at the links in my post below.
This project was crocheted in a Jumbo Weight Yarn  named Rosarium Mega Chunky. Rosarium Mega Chunky is easy to crochet with and my finished scarf has great movement (meaning my scarf doesn’t feel stiff and it isn’t hard to wrap; it is soft and fits to the contour of my neck comfortably).
Rosarium Mega Chunky is available in 10-different shades. It is a gorgeous 100% Merino Wool yarn. It is easy to work with and the colors are muted and soft. You can see all the colors currently available here.
The links to the other two Scarf of the Month CAL patterns are available here: February 2022 Scarf of the Month CAL
If you share your finished scarf on Instagram, share it with #oombawkadesigncrochet so I can see it too! I check for this hashtag frequently and add new finished projects to my Instagram Stories!
Get the PDF for FREE today (from February 20-21) from my Ravelry Shop as part of the 2022 Monthly Scarf of the Month CAL.
No coupon required!
Simply add the 2022 Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf Pattern to your cart before February 21, 2022 at 11:59 pm ET and check your cart total = $0.00 before you check out.
Ravelry Link: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2022-bulky-herringbone-stitch-scarf
If you missed the free PDF sign up for next month’s email reminder to get notified for our future patterns. For the CAL details scroll to the end of my post. You will find links to the patterns, schedule and supplies lists.
- Yarn: King Cole, Rosarium Mega Chunky. (affiliate link) 3.52 oz (100 g) and 43 yds (40 m). 100% Wool. Jumbo Weight Yarn . Hand wash. Do not tumble dry. Do not iron.
- Colors: 4 skeins Sky Rose (4705)
- Crochet Hook: 15 mm (P/Q) Clover Amour (affiliate link)
- Finished Project: Scarf: 14.3 oz (405 g) and 174 yds (162 m)
- Scissors, Tapestry Needle (Yarn Needle), Stitch Marker (optional)
Scarf width approximately 6 inches X 72 inches length. Fringe adds 10-inches to the finished length if added.
Approximately 5 hhdc stitches per 4 inches and 5 rows worked in pattern per 4 inches.
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
Our Crochet Translation Project offers translations in many languages.
Check out the Basic Crochet Terms in 10 languages here.
- ch – chain
- g- grams
- hhdc – herringbone half double crochet
- m – meters
- oz – ounces
- R – row
- rem – remaining
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- yds – yards
-  – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- () – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
If you are new to crochet, you can always refer to my How to Crochet Guide and Crochet Stitches and Symbols for more information. For my crochet video tutorials, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here.
- Stitch Anatomy
- Quick Stitch Guide
- Slip Knot and Starting Chain
- How to join a new ball of yarn
- Herringbone Half Double Crochet Photo Tutorial
- Herringbone HDC Video Tutorial
- How to work in the back bump of the starting chain.
- Stitch multiple: 1 + 1 (turning chain)
- When I work into the foundation chain, I prefer working into the back bar (back bump) of the chain. You can work under the back loop only if you prefer.
- To change the scarf length, chain until you reach your desired scarf length and add 1 extra chain before following the instructions below.
- To increase the width of your scarf, work more rows.
- The initial ch-2 counts as 1 hhdc and we work into it.
- Scarf is reversible.
- Create your project page on Ravelry here
Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf Pattern
This project is crocheted lengthwise in rows.
Using your 15 mm (P/Q) hook (or size required for gauge):
R1: Ch 91, sk 2 chs (counts as 1 hhdc), 1 hhdc in each ch across. Turn. [90 hhdc]
R2-R7: Ch 2 (counts as 1 hhdc), 1 hhdc in each st across. Turn. [90 hhdc]
Finish off after R7 and continue to the finishing instructions.
- Weave in all ends.
- Optional Fringe: Cut 30-strands of yarn, each 12-inches in length. I used my Clover Tassel Maker Tool to do this. Use 3-strands for each fringe and tie them evenly spaced across each end of the scarf. I personally chose to tie 4 on one end and 5 on the other. Need help with the fringe? This post shows you how to attach it.
Did you remember to make your Ravelry Project Page? (How to Make a Ravelry Project Page.)
Create your project page here for the 2022 Bulky Herringbone Stitch Scarf
2022 Monthly Scarf of the Month CAL
Get all the details about our 2022 CALs here:
Get all the details for the Scarf of the Month CAL here.
Get all the details for the Hat of the Month CAL here.
Check out the Supply List here.
If you are looking for our past Scarf of the Month Crochet Along Posts, you can find those here:
2016 Scarf of the Month Club
2017 Scarf of the Month Club
2018 Scarf of the Month Club
2019 Scarf of the Month Club
2020 Scarf and Hat of the Month Club
2021 Scarf of the Month CAL
2021 Hat of the Month CAL
If you would like to be notified when the new free scarf patterns are published, you can sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter here:
Click here to subscribe to our Scarf of the Month Club mailing list
Happy Crocheting 🙂
Oombawka Design Crochet Free Patterns
Find my other King Cole Brand Ambassador Free Crochet Patterns here
Learn more about King Cole Yarn and their beautiful products here:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube
#KingCole #KingColeYarn #KingColeCreations #KingColeAmbassador #scarfofthemonth #scarfCAL #CAL #crochetalong #scarfpattern #cloveramour #rosarium #megachunky