Grannies in Bloom includes 6 beautiful flower garden throws. Grab your medium weight yarn and get ready to make a pretty crocheted flower granny throw!
[disclaimer]I received a copy of this eBook to review from Leisure Arts. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. This post includes affiliate links. If you purchase this book after you click on one of my affiliate links in the post, I will receive a small commission for referring you, at no additional cost to you.[/disclaimer]
Title: Grannies in Bloom
Publisher: Leisure Arts, Inc., 2017
Photographer: Jason Masters
Grannies in Bloom includes 6 pretty floral afghans, crocheted with simple stitches. These pretty feminine afghans incorporate simple stitches and pretty crocheted flowers to make lovely afghans for a variety of styles and seasons.
The 6 Grannies in Bloom Afghan Patterns included are:
- Autumn Fields. Skill Level: INTERMEDIATE. Size: 44″ by 61″. Hook: 5 mm (H). Designed by: Carol Alexander and Brenda Stratton
- Rosy Floral. Skill Level: EASY+. Size: 49″ by 63″. Hook: 5 mm (H). Designed by: Maggie Weldon
- Filet Floral. Skill Level: EASY+. Size: 48″ by 69″. Hook: 5 mm (H). Designed by:Carol Alexander and Brenda Stratton
- Classic Shells. Skill Level: EASY+. Size: 45″ by 65″. Hook: 5 mm (H). Designed by: Terry Kimbrough.
- Watercolor Floral. Skill Level: INTERMEDIATE. Size: 50.5″ by 66.5″. Hook: 4 mm (G). Designed by: Carol Alexander and Brenda Stratton.
- Checkerboard Floral. Skill Level: EASY. Size: 52.5″ by 70.5″. Hook: 5.5 mm (I). Designed by: Carol Alexander and Brenda Stratton
JAYGO (Join as you go Method) is used for the Autumn Fields and Watercolor Floral Designs. The squares in Rosy Floral, Filet Floral, Classic Shells and Checkerboard Floral are whip-stitched together after they are completed.
Full-color placement diagrams are included to assist with assembly. The assembly instructions are written out in full for each pattern and are straightforward and easy-to-follow.
Each pattern requires medium weight yarn.
The medium weight yarns used to crochet the sample projects were:
Autumn Fields: Patons® Classic Wool Worsted™
Rosy Floral: Patons® Decor™
Filet Floral: Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice®
Classic Shells: Red Heart® Super Saver®
Watercolor Floral: Caron® Simply Soft® Paints™, Caron® Simply Soft®, Caron® Simply Soft® Brites™
Checkerboard Floral: Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice®
The general instructions, abbreviations and stitch explanations are included beginning on page 29.
The terms explained include:
- Joining with a sc
- Joining with a hdc
- Joining with a dc
- Joining with a tr
- Adjustable loop (with diagrams)
- Back ridge of a chain (with diagram)
- Back or front loops only (with diagram)
- Free loops (with diagrams)
- Changing colors (with diagrams)
- Working in a space before a stitch (with diagram)
- Whipstitch (with diagrams)
When a special stitch is used in a pattern, the instructions for it are included right in the pattern itself. The stitches are explained in full in the Stitch Guide. When a special stitch is used the Stitch Guide can be found after the Gauge Information section, at the beginning of the pattern.
Some special stitches used in these projects are:
- puff stitch
- single crochet 2 together
- beginning cluster
I love floral elements in crochet, probably because I love flowers. Each of these pretty blankets is unique in its design, some being more lightweight and lacy and some more suitable to colder weather.
My 2 favorite designs in this book are:
- Filet Floral
- Autumn Fields
The 6 projects included in Grannies in Bloom are very different from one another. They each feature a lovely floral design and are completed by assembling motifs together into the finished blanket form. Four of the projects use simple whipstitches to seam the squares together, while two projects can be assembled with the JAY-Go method. Grannies in Bloom includes patterns for 6 pretty, feminine, floral afghans suitable for a variety of seasons.
Would you like to win a eBook copy of Grannies in Bloom ?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law. Void in Quebec.
Start Date: October 4, 2018; 12:00 am ET
End Date: October 11, 2018, 11:59 pm ET
In order to enter the giveaway, you must have (or be willing to sign up for) a free Leisure Arts dot com account. If you do not have one yet, you can sign up here:
If you cannot see the Rafflecopter widget below, please click >HERE< to enter.
If you are not the lucky winner of the giveaway and you would like to purchase your own copy of Grannies in Bloom, you can get it directly from Leisure Arts:
I’d like to thank Leisure Arts, Inc. for providing me with the review copy of Grannies in Bloom and for the giveaway copy for my readers!
@leisurearts @leisureartsinc #leisurearts #leisureartsinc #crochetflowers #afghans #giveaway