I decided I needed to make a little Kitten Hat for my sister’s baby too. This Kitten Newborn Baby Hat Pattern matches the kittens in both my Kitten Baby Lovie Crochet Blankie Pattern and my Amigurumi Kitten Pattern.
To make this baby beanie you will need Medium Weight Yarn  and a 5.50 mm (I) crochet hook.
Kitten Newborn Baby Hat Pattern
PIN now, make later ↓
Kitten Newborn Baby Hat Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand, A Star is Born: Naptime Bonus Bundle Yarn. 240 g (8.5 oz) and 735 yds (672 m). 100% Polyester. Medium-Weight Yarn . Machine wash, lay flat to dry.
- Colors: 1 skein in Optic White [172-100] and 1 skein in Applegreen [172-132]
- Hook: 5.50 mm (I) Furls Blue Odyssey
- Finished Project Yardage: Hat with ears: 15 g (0.53 oz) and 45.9 yds (42 m).
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Clover Locking Stitch Marker
Newborn height approximately 5 inches X 13.5 inches circumference
Approximately 2 rows per inch and 3 dc per inch
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
CC – contrast color
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
DMR – double magic ring
MC – main color
R – round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Watch how to make a Newborn Beanie on YouTube
- this is the very same pattern up to the last round – work 1 round of sc in a contrasting color of yarn for the final round (instead of the decorative slip stitch round mentioned in the video)
- Options to start instead of using a DMR. To begin using a ch 3 please watch this video clip to see how to start. Then follow the Newborn Video Tutorial for the remainder of the hat. Continue watching the video here. At the end you will need to close the small hole at the top of the hat, watch this clip to see how to close the top of the hat.
- Initial ch 2 does not count as a stitch and we do not work into it
- Work the slip stitch to join at the end of the round tightly. We do not work into the joining slip stitch and it is not counted as a stitch at the end of the round.
- Would you like this hat to be a little bit bigger? Add one extra round of double crochet for every ½ inch of height you wish to add to the hat.
- Or, you would like a hat that is a little bit bigger around the circumference, follow the instructions for the 3 month size baby beanie instead.
- MC = optic white, CC = Applegreen
- The ears are crocheted with the 5.5 mm (I) hook.
Kitten Newborn Baby Hat Pattern Instructions
To fit 13.5 to 14 inch head circumference. Hat height approximately 5 inches.
The hat is crocheted from the top-down to the brim.
Using your 5.5 mm (I) hook (or size required for gauge) and leaving an 8-10 inch yarn tail:
R1: With MC: DMR: Ch 2 and work 10 dc into the ring. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R3: Ch 2, *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in the next st**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R4: Ch 2, *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts**. Work from * to ** 5 times in total. Work 1 dc in each remaining st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R5-R9: Ch 2, 1 dc in each st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. Finish off MC yarn with an invisible join. 
R10: Join CC yarn and work 1 sc in each st around, finish off with an invisible join. 
Crochet Kitten Ears
R1: With MC: DMR: 4 sc [4 sc]
R2: 2 sc in each st around. [8 sc]
R3: *2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in the next st**. Work from * to ** around. [12 sc]
R4: *2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in the next st**. Work from * to ** around. [18 sc]
R5: 1 sc in each st around. [18 sc]
Finish off leaving a 10-inch tail of yarn for assembly.
Kitten Newborn Baby Hat Finishing Instructions:
With the yarn end left-over, flatten the cat ear and working through both layers along the open edge of the ear, sew the ear closed.
Next fold the kitten along the center and using the same yarn end, whipstitch a small line up the back-side of the ear.
Next, attach the kitten ears to the hat using CC yarn and simple stitches through the ear and one loop of a stitch from the hat, for each stitch made. Repeat for the second ear.
Weave in any remaining ends.
Check out my other available size charts and measurements here.
#ilovemyfurls #lionbrandandfurls #furlscrochet #furlsinf621 #babycrochet #babycrochetpattern #crochethat #crochetpattern #freepattern #lionbrand