This easy to follow crochet hat pattern includes written instructions and a full video tutorial to show you step-by-step how to crochet a 0-3 month size baby hat. All you need to make this easy double crochet hat is Medium Weight Yarn  and a 5.50 mm (I) crochet hook.
I have also included instructions on how to add extra length to the hat if you want it to be a bit bigger. If you need a smaller or larger baby crochet hat pattern, I have those too and they are linked below!
This hat is the perfect base hat for all your embellishments, including little bear ears. To make ears for a baby bear hat, follow the instructions in R1 and R2, finish off, leaving a yarn tail for sewing. Fold the small circle you just crocheted in half along the diameter (middle) and sew the open edges together onto the hat. You just crocheted a soft 3D bear ear. Repeat the instructions for the second ear.
0-3 Months Crochet Baby Hat Pattern
PIN now, make later 🡳
0-3 Months Crochet Baby Hat Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart With Love 7 oz (198 g) ; 370 yds (338 m). Care: Machine wash warm on gentle cycle; tumble dry on low. Do not over dry; do not bleach; do not iron. This hat also works really well with Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. 7 oz (198 g); 364 yds (333 m).
- Hook: 5.50 mm (I) Furls Streamline Swirl Crochet Hook
- Finished Project Yardage: Newborn Hat: Red Heart With Love: 7 oz (21 g); 40 yds (36 m)
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
0-3 months height approximately 5.5 inches X 13.5 inches circumference
Approximately 2 rows per inch and 3 dc per inch
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
DMR – double magic ring
R – round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Watch the 0-3 Months Crochet Baby Hat Video Tutorial on YouTube
- Options to start instead of using a DMR. To begin using a ch 3 please watch this video clip to see how to start. Then follow the Newborn Video Tutorial for the remainder of the hat. Continue watching the video here. At the end you will need to close the small hole at the top of the hat, watch this clip to see how to close the top of the hat.
- Initial ch 2 does not count as a stitch and we do not work into it
- Work the slip stitch to join at the end of the round tightly. We do not work into the joining slip stitch and it is not counted as a stitch at the end of the round.
- Skipping the final slip stitch round? Other pretty options you can use are a round of single crochet stitches in the back loop only, or a round of alternating FPsc, BPsc.
- Would you like this hat to be a little bit longer? Add one extra round of double crochet for every ½ inch of height you wish to add to the hat.
- If you would like a hat that is a little bit bigger around the circumference, follow the instructions for the 3-6 month size baby beanie instead.
0-3 Months Crochet Baby Hat Pattern Instructions
To fit 15 to 16-inch head circumference. Hat height approximately 5.5 inches.
The hat is crocheted from the top-down to the brim.
Using your 5.5 mm (I) hook (or size required for gauge) and leaving an 8-10 inch yarn tail:
R1: DMR: Ch 2 and work 10 dc into the ring. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R3: Ch 2, *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in the next st**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R4: Ch 2, *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts**. Work from * to ** around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R5: Ch 2, *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 sts**. Work from * to ** 2 times. 1 dc in each rem st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
R6-R11: Ch 2, 1 dc in each st around. Sl st to the first dc of the round to join. 
*This next round is an optional round to add a decorative edge to the hat. It is not adding any height to your hat so you can skip it altogether. See the Notes Section above the pattern for other edging options you can use.
*R12: 1 sl st (loosely as this is a decorative edge) in each st around, finish off with an invisible join. 
Weave in ends.
Check out my other available size charts and measurements here.
#yarnspirations #redheartyarns #furlscrochet #furlsinf521 #babycrochet #babycrochetpattern #crochethat #crochetpattern #freepattern