The Corkscrew Gnome Bottle Topper will add a little whimsy to your holiday season. It is a fun last-minute crochet gift that never fails to produce a smile. (Or maybe that’s the wine in the bottle…hard to say.)
Hello there! My name is Kati. I run Hooked by Kati, a blog devoted to amigurumi designs of all kinds, from dragons to puppies. I love teaching crochet artists how to stretch their skills and make beautiful, fanciful things they are proud of.
Today, I’m thrilled to be here at Oombawka Design Crochet with this free crochet pattern for you!
This crochet pattern uses a wire to twist the top of the hat. I would highly recommend using plastic-coated wire like you find at the hardware store, and be sure to fold the ends over so they aren’t sharp.
And if you are new to the loop stitch, you are in for a treat. The loop stitch is my absolute favorite way to add fur to any project (or in this case, a beard). It is fun and has a really great stitch rhythm when you get it going.
You’ll love it! The loop stitch video tutorial can help you get started. A small project like this is a great way to learn something new.
Get the ad-free printable .pdf version of this pattern (which includes extra photos) from Hooked by Kati on Ravelry.
Corkscrew Gnome Bottle Topper Crochet Pattern
This pattern is written in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
Difficulty: Easy/Intermediate. Knowledge needed of chains (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), sc increases, and right side (RS), wrong side (WS). Knowledge of the loop stitch is helpful, but a willingness to learn is a good substitute.
- Red Heart With Love yarn, 100% acrylic, worsted weight, 370 yds/7 oz/198 g, Evergreen (EVER), 1 ball; Spinach (SPIN), < 1 ball; Aran (ARAN), < 1 ball; Tan (TAN), < 1 ball.
- G (4.00 mm) hook
- Tapestry needle
- About 8” coated 16 gauge wire, ends bent and crimped for safety
- Slicker brush or hair brush
- Straight pins for marking attachments (optional)
10″ tall from tip of beard to top of curled hat x 4″ widel
8 sts x 8 rows in sc = 2” x 2”
- Work in continuous rounds. Do not slip stitch unless otherwise specified by the pattern.
- For best results, assemble parts in order as directed.
- Loop-st – Loop stitch: Insert hook through st, loop yarn back to front over 1 finger, slide hook over nearside of loop, grab farside of loop and pull through st, yo, pull through both loops on hook, remove finger from loop.
Like learning with videos? Here you go!
Corkscrew Gnome Bottle Topper Instructions
Corkscrew Gnome Hat
With Color SPIN, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 4 sc in second ch from hook. (4)
Rnd 2: [sc, inc] twice. (6)
Rnds 3-29: Sc evenly around.
Don’t let skinny parts be scary! Use these tips to make it easier!
Rnd 30: [2 sc, inc] twice. (8)
Rnd 31: [3 sc, inc] twice. (10)
Rnd 32: [4 sc, inc] twice. (12)
Rnd 33: [5 sc, inc] twice. (14)
Rnd 34: [6 sc, inc] twice. (16)
Rnd 35: [7 sc, inc] twice. (18)
Rnd 36: [8 sc, inc] twice. (20)
Rnd 37: [9 sc, inc] twice. (22)
Rnd 38: [10 sc, inc] twice. (24)
Rnds 39-48: Sc evenly around.
Bind off and weave in ends.
Turn brim of hat inside out, fold up last five rounds.
Corkscrew Gnome Beard
With color ARAN, ch 2.
Row 1: (WS) Sc in second ch from hook, turn. (1)
Row 2: (RS) Ch 1, loop-st (see Pattern Stitches), turn. (1)
Row 3: Ch 1, inc, turn. (2)
Row 4: Ch 1, 2 loop-st, turn. (2)
Row 5: Ch 1, 2 inc, turn. (4)
Row 6: Ch 1, 4 loop-st, turn. (4)
Row 7: Ch 1, inc, 2 sc, inc, turn. (6)
Row 8: Ch 1, 6 loop-st, turn. (6)
Row 9: Ch 1, inc, 4 sc, inc, turn. (8)
Row 10: Ch 1, 8 loop-st, turn. (8)
Row 11: Ch 1, inc, 6 sc, inc, turn. (10)
Row 12: Ch 1, 10 loop-st, turn. (10)
Row 13: Ch 1, inc, 8 sc, inc, turn. (12)
Row 14: Ch 1, 12 loop-st. (12)
Bind off leaving long tail for sewing.
Sew the last row of the beard to the bottom of the hat, along the fold.
Corkscrew Gnome Nose
With color TAN, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in second ch from hook. (6)
Rnd 2: Inc in each st around. (12)
Rnd 3: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 4: 6 dec. (6)
Stuff with bits of scrap yarn.
Finishing your Corkscrew Gnome Bottle Topper
- Sew nose along the sewn edge of the beard and hat, at the center of the beard, 5 sts from each side.
- Cut loops.
- Using slicker brush, brush the cut ends downward until all ends are frayed and fluffed.
- Insert wire into hat and all the way to tip.
- With hat in your hand and tip sticking out, wrap the tip of the hat around your index finger as many times as it will wrap. Squeeze gently to curve wire.
- Fit hat over top of wine bottle and pull down until hat is snug.
Did you enjoy this pattern? Want more? You can subscribe to Kati’s newsletter for more whimsical projects and tutorials.
Find and Follow Kati on Social Media too!
Interested in becoming a Guest Designer for Oombawka Design Crochet? Apply for this great opportunity right here: Become a Guest Designer