Get your copy of the Easy Double Crochet Ear Flap Hat Pattern here.
Pretty Crochet Flower Pattern
- Yarn: Yarnspirations. Red Heart With Love Yarn. 198 g (7 oz) and 370 yds (338 m). 100% Acrylic. Medium Weight Yarn . Machine wash in warm water. Gentle Cycle.
- Colors: 1 skein Cornsilk (E400-1207)
- Hook: 5.5 mm (I).
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
BL – back loop
ch – chain
ch1sp – chain 1 space
dc – double crochet
DMR – double magic ring
FL – front loop
Fsc – foundation single crochet
R – round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
tr – treble stitch
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Foundation single crochet stitch (Fsc)
The initial Fsc is worked into the 2nd ch from the hook. The remaining Fsc are worked into the chain 1 you work for each Fsc.
Insert your hook under the back loop of the specified chain stitch, yarn over and pull up 1 loop, yarn over and pull through 1 loop (I call this a chain 1). Pinch the chain 1 stitch you just made with 2 fingers (so you can find it later), yarn over the hook and pull through the remaining two loops on your hook.
NOTE: you can work under both the back loop and back bar of the chain stitch – for this flower I only worked under the BL.
Helpful Video Tutorials
Watch the Pretty Crochet Flower Tutorial on YouTube
- Please watch this video which demonstrates how to make the flower. Once you understand where to work the stitches this flower is very easy to crochet.
- I have started the project by working a double magic ring (see this tutorial) but you can just as easily crochet a regular magic ring or begin by crocheting a chain-3 and slip stitch to join to the first chain to form a ring and then work your stitches directly into that ring.
- Do not join at the end of your rounds, unless it is written in the instructions below.
Pretty Crochet Flower Pattern Instructions
The crocheted flower is worked in 2 pieces. The first base flower is crocheted first in rounds. The second flower is crochet in rounds and then sewn on top of the base flower.
Using your 5.5 mm (I) hook:
Flower #1 (Base Flower) Pattern
R1: DMR: 8 hdc. [8 hdc]
R2: 2 sc in each st around. [16 sc]
R3: *1 sc in the next st, ch 1, sk the next st**. Rep from * to ** 8 times. [8 sc and 8 ch1sp]
Note: you are skipping the very last stitch of the round.
You are also skipping the very first stitch of the next round.
R4: *Sk the next st, (1 sc, 2 dc, 2 tr, 2 dc, 1 sc) in the next ch1sp**. Rep from * to ** 8 times. Sl st to the first sc of the round to join. Finish off and weave in your ends. [16 sc, 32 dc, 16 tr]
You will now have 8 petals.
Flower #2 (Top Flower) Pattern
R1: DMR: 8 sc. [8 sc]
R2: *1 sl st in the FL of the next st. Ch 2 and beg in the 2nd ch from your hook work 5 Fsc. 1 sl st in the BL of the st you just worked a sl st in the FL**. Rep from * to ** 8 times. [8 petals]
Note: R3 is worked into the rem loop located in the center of each petal from R2. If you fold the petal back and away from you you will see the loop.
R3: *1 sc in the rem loop in the center of the next petal from R2. Ch 2 and beg in the 2nd ch from your hook work 3 Fsc. 1 sc in the same rem loop in the center of the petal (where you worked the sc)**. Rep from * to ** 8 times. Finish off leaving a long tail (8-10 inches) for assembly.
Place your rem yarn end on your yarn needle and thread it from the front of Flower #2 through to the back of flower # 2.
Place Flower # 2 on top of Flower #1 and line up the center rings. Feed the yarn through the base flower and then working between the stitches of R1 of each layer, sew the 2 flowers together.
Next stitch to your hat using the same method as you used to secure them together in the instructions above. Finish off and weave in ends.