I designed this free Mandala Coaster Crochet Pattern in August and released it in September on Instagram.
It is an easy-to-crochet project that you can make and give as gifts. This Mandala Coaster is crocheted using the left-over bits from my Stone Washed and River Washed Colour Pack, but you can make it with any Sport Weight / Baby Weight Yarn and a 4 mm (G) hook. If you use a heavier yarn, I recommend you also use the hook specified on the yarn label. It will change the finished project’s size but this Mandala will make a lovely table doily too.
Free Mandala Coaster Pattern
Create your Project Pages on Ravelry here.
- Yarn: Scheepjes Stone Washed and River Washed Yarn. 50 g (1.76 oz) and 142 yds (130 m). 78% Cotton and 22% Acrylic. Sport Weight Yarn . Machine Wash Gentle, Dry Flat.
- Colors: Miscellaneous stashed/left-over yarn colors from my Stone Washed / River Washed Colour Pack
- Hook: 4 mm (G).
- Finished Project Yardage: less than 10 g of each color (less than 29 yards)
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker
Mandala Coaster Diameter approximately 5.75 inches
Approximately 2 rows of dc in 1 inch and 4 sts per inch
You can substitute any yarn and hook for this stitch pattern – just remember when you substitute if your gauge is different, the finished size, and amount of yarn used for your project will also be different.
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
ch1sp – chain 1 space
ch2sp – chain 2 space
dc – double crochet
R – round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* to **– Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
() – important notes AND sets of stitches to be worked within one stitch, or space
Helpful Video Tutorials
- You may substitute a chain 3 and sl st to form a ring, for the double magic ring I use to begin R1
Mandala Crochet Coaster Pattern Instructions
This project is crocheted in joined rounds.
Pin this pattern for later here.
Save this Pattern to your Ravelry Favorites here
Download the ad-free PDF here
Using your 4 mm (G) hook (or size required for gauge):
R1: Color A: in a double magic ring, ch 3 and make 11 more dc. Sl st to the first dc to join. [12 dc]
R2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 1 more dc in the same st. 2 dc in each remaining st around. Sl st to the first dc to join. [24 dc]
R3: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 1 more dc in the same st. *2 dc in the next st, 1 dc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** around. Finish off with an invisible join. [36 dc]
R4: Join Color B. *(1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in the next st, sk 1 dc**. Rep from * to ** around. Sl st to the first ch1sp to join. Finish off Color B. [36 dc, 18 ch1sp]
R5: Join Color C in any ch1sp. For this round we will skip all the dc stitches from R4. *Work a 5-dc-popcorn in the ch1sp, ch 2**. Rep from * to ** around. [18 5-dc-popcorn, 18 ch2sp]
R6: Join Color D in any ch2sp. *Work 4 sc in the ch2sp, 1 sc in the center of the next 5-dc-popcorn st**. Rep from * to ** around. Slip st to the first sc to join. Finish off Color D. [90 sc]
R7: Join Color E in any sc. *(1 sc, 1 dc, 1 sc) in the next sc, sk 2 sc**. Rep from * to ** around. Finish off with an invisible join and weave in any ends. [60 sc, 30 dc]