Explore this collection of unique crochet blanket patterns which were inspired by Artistic designs by Modern Makers. Enter for a chance to win your own copy of this great crochet pattern book!
Title: The Art of Crochet Blankets
Author: Rachele Carmona
Publisher: Interweave Books, an imprint of F+W Media Inc.
The patterns included in The Art of Crochet Blankets are inspired by existing artistic pieces by Modern Makers throughout the world. Each section of the book focuses on the Modern Maker who inspired Rachele’s crochet design and their chosen medium.
Weaving. Maker: Maryanne Moodie.
Crochet Patterns: Rolling Plains (inspired by New World), Rock Ridge (inspired by Blush Gold) and Sun and Sky (inspired by Texture).
Digital Art. Maker: Francisco Valle.
Crochet Patterns: Graffiti (inspired by Geometric Sun), Multifaceted (inspired by Triangles Rusty) and Cozy Corner (inspired by Geometric Triangles Perspective).
Fabric Design. Maker: April Rhodes.
Crochet Patterns: Boho Desert (inspired by Arid Horizon), Abstract Blocks (inspired by Painted Morale) and Wanderlust (inspired by Sylph’s Freedom Flower).
Paper Cutting. Maker: Maud Vantours.
Crochet Patterns: Color Garden (inspired by Flora), Layered Waves (inspired by Landscape) and Perfect Scallops (inspired by Motifs).
Cement Tile. Maker: Caitlin Dowe-Sandes.
Crochet Patterns: Stone Path (inspired by Stone Path), Moroccan Tile (inspired by Envelope and Zigzag) and The Northerner (inspired by Honeycomb Hex).
Quilting. Maker: Tula Pink.
Crochet Patterns: Ombre Stripe (inspired by Shoreline), City Sunrise (inspired by Flower Market) and Sweet Spring (inspired by The Butterfly).
- Rolling Plains. Size: 26 inches by 36 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 4.25 mm (G-6) crochet hook. Color Charts. Schematic.
- Rock Ridge. Size: 32 inches by 36 inches. Fingering Weight Yarn  and Bulky Weight Yarn . 5 mm (H), 5.5 mm (I) and 9 mm (M) crochet hooks.
- Sun and Sky. Size: 33 inches by 52 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 4.25 mm (G-6) and 10 mm (N) crochet hooks. Stitch Diagrams. Color Charts.
- Graffiti. Size: 58 inches by 85 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 4.25 mm (G-6), 5.5 mm (I) and 6 mm (J) crochet hooks. Stitch Diagrams. Schematic.
- Multifaceted. Size: 48 inches by 48 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 3.75 mm (F) crochet hook. Stitch Diagrams. Schematic.
- Cozy Corner. Size: 48 inches by 62 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 4 mm (G) and 5 mm (H) crochet hooks. Stitch Diagrams. Schematic.
- Boho Desert. Size: 50 inches by 60 inches. Medium Weight Yarn . 5.5 mm (I) and 5 mm (H) crochet hooks. Panel Color Charts. Schematic.
- Abstract Blocks. Size: 43 inches by 43 inches. Fingering Weight Yarn . 3.75 mm (F) and 3.5 mm (E) crochet hooks. Schematic and Layout.
- Wanderlust. Size: 44 inches by 49 inches. Sport Weight Yarn . 4 mm (G) crochet hook. Schematic.
- Color Garden. Size: 33 inches by 39 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 5 mm (H) and 4.25 mm (G-6) crochet hooks. Stitch Diagram for Border. Color Sequence Chart. Schematic.
- Layered Waves. Size: 36 inches by 46 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 5 mm (H) and 4 mm (G) crochet hooks.
- Perfect Scallops. Size: 39 inches by 46 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 5 mm (H) and 4 mm (G) crochet hooks. Schematic.
- Stone Path. Size: 65 inches by 72 inches. Super Bulky Weight Yarn . 10 mm (N) and 9 mm (M) crochet hooks. Block Diagram. Schematic.
- Moroccan Tile. Size: 39 inches by 46 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 4.25 mm (G-6) and 3.75 mm (F) crochet hooks. Schematic.
- The Northerner. Size: 58 inches by 63 inches. Medium Weight Yarn . 6 mm (J), 5.5 mm (I) and 5 mm (H) crochet hooks. Hexagon Diagram. Half Hexagon Diagram. Schematic.
- Ombre Stripe. Size: 52 inches by 66 inches. DK Weight Yarn . 5 mm (H) and 5.5 mm (I) crochet hooks. Joining of Strips Diagram. Schematic.
- City Sunrise. Size: 39 inches by 44 inches. Fingering Weight Yarn . 3.75 mm (F) crochet hook. Stitch Diagrams. Schematic.
- Sweet Spring. Size: 65 inches by 70 inches. Bulky Weight Yarn . 6 mm (J) and 5.5 mm (I) crochet hooks. Schematic.
Each pattern is written in U.S. Crochet terms and some patterns also include stitch diagrams, schematics and color charts. Difficulty levels have not been included for these patterns. If you are newer to crochet I recommend you start with one of these patterns: Layered Waves, Ombre Stripe and perhaps Rock Ridge. These designs use simpler stitches and require less assembly and color-work (following color charts).
The instructions are very detailed and bold and italic type face has been used to help you distinguish important headings and notes easily.
The patterns include their own stitch guides, for special stitches you may need to use. The Techniques section is included beginning on page 136.
Techniques included are:
- changing color
- border stitches
- beginning the row without a turning chain
- making matching decreases on both ends of a row
- making tall stitches neater
- Joining Techniques: Joining square (hexagon) motifs as you go.
- Pull loop through chain (PLT) Join
- Slip Stitch Motifs together
- Whipstitch Motifs together
- Finishing: Blocking, making a flatter border and weaving in ends.
Diagrams have been included to help you visualize the technique instructions
The yarns used to create the samples in the book were:
- Cascade Yarns: 220 Superwash, 220 Superwash Sport and Ultra Pima
- Knit Picks: Palette
- Kamgarn: Papatya Batik
- Scheepjes: Bloom, Catona, Catona Denim, Colour Crafter, Colour Crafter Velvet, Merino Soft, Roma Big, Softfun Aquarel and Sunkissed
- Stylecraft: Classique Cotton DK and Special DK
- Wool and the Gang: Billie Jean and Shiny Happy Cotton
The designs included are all very unique. My very favorite is Boho Desert, which was inspired by Arid Horizon by April Rhodes. My second favorite is Rock Ridge, which was inspired by Blush Gold by Maryanne Moodie. My third favorite is Perfect Scallops, which was inspired by Motifs by Maud Vantours.
The Art of Crochet Blankets includes 18 beautifully unique patterns. These crocheted blankets were inspired by projects from modern makers throughout the world. The finished blankets are artistically different from regular blanket and afghan patterns and employ many different stitches and techniques.
Would you like to win your own copy of The Art of Crochet Blankets?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open to residents of the United States and Canada, where allowed by law; void in Quebec.
Start Date: November 3, 2018; 12:00 am ET
End Date: November 10, 2018, 11:59 pm ET
If you are not the winner of the Giveaway and you would still like to have you own copy of The Art of Crochet Blankets, you can purchase your book directly from Interweave!
I would like to thank Interweave Books, an imprint of F+W Media Inc. for both the Review and Giveaway Copy of The Art of Crochet Blankets
Images used with permission from F+W Media Inc.