Explore the amazing world of marine animals and learn all about Whales, Dolphins, Seals and Walruses.
Title: DK Eyewitness Books: Whale
Published By: Dorling Kindersley, 2004
DK Eyewitness Books: Whale, includes an in-depth look at marine animals. This hard cover book contains 72-pages packed with information from the evolution of whales to how fishing and pollution are affecting the overall health of marine animals.
Every page includes color photography and/or color illustrations.
The contents include
- Marine mammals.
- Whale evolution.
- Whales big and small. Learn where whales live throughout the world.
- Inside the whale. Learn about the skeletal system of the whale and its internal organs.
- Seals and sea lions. Learn about the many different types of seals and sea lions.
- Suited to life in the sea. Learn how marine animals breathe and how they travel and “see” where they are going.
- Ocean giants. Learn about the biggest whales.
- Teeth for grasping.
- and baleen for filtering. Learn how whales filter the seawater to feed.
- Clicks, barks, and songs. Learn how sounds travel in water and how marine animals communicate.
- Courtship and birth.
- Social life. Learn about group and solitary life styles of marine animals.
- Dolphins and porpoises. Learn about the many types of dolphins and porpoises.
- The killer whale.
- The amazing narwhal. “The Unicorn Whale”
- The sperm whale.
- The elephant seal.
- I am the walrus.
- Sea Cows. Dugongs and Manatee
- Hunting the mighty whale.
- Whaling in the 20th century. Banned in 1988.
- Oils, brushes and corsets. See the different items made from whale oil, bones and baleen.
- Seal hunting.
- Myths and legends.
- Strandings and whale watching.
- Fishing and pollution. Today’s biggest threats to whales and seals.
- Studying sea mammals. How we study them.
- Save the whale!
- Did you know? Filled with amazing facts, questions and answers and record breakers.
- Who’s who. Diagrams and information about different species of cetaceans.
- Find out more. Where you can see whales. How to identify whales (Tale flukes and patterns).
This book contains a lot of factual information about marine animals. I really like how on each page there are multiple images and illustrations and how each one has a small description about it. I find by presenting this information in these small sections it is easier for my children to read and understand these new ideas. DK Eyewitness: Whale is a fantastic book to have on-hand. My children have enjoyed exploring and learning about these marine animals.
You can purchase your own copy of DK Eyewitness Whale directly from Amazon.
Shopping from Canada:
Shopping from the U.S.: