With the arrival of September it is time for us to start thinking about crocheting ourselves some hats! Urban Slouch Hats includes 10 pretty designs you can crochet for yourself, your friends or even as Christmas Gifts (hint, hint!). Read my review below and if you like the look of these hats too, you can even enter my giveaway at the end of this post to enter for a chance to win your very own eBook copy! This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law and I have included daily free entries just for visiting this post! Giveaway ends September 12, 2017, at 11:59 pm ET. Feel free to share this post with your friends too! Who knows they may want you to crochet them one of these pretty hats!
Title: Urban Slouch Hats
Author: Kristi Simpson
Publisher: Leisure Arts, Inc., 2016
Photographer: Jason Masters
Urban Slouch Hats by Kristi Simpson, includes 10 trendy slouch hat designs. These projects are each crocheted in medium weight  yarn and they are considered easy to easy-plus level patterns. You will find patterns for slouch hats with pretty stitch pattern combinations, cables, chevrons and button flap closures.
The hats are designed to fit head sizes ranging from 20 to 22 inches in circumference and most projects use one skein of yarn, or less.
Special Stitches are included in each individual pattern with video support available whenever you see the video camera icon. The instructions are provided in American Crochet Terms (US English) and stitch totals are provided at the end of rows and rounds when the final stitch count varies from the previous row/round total.
All supplies are clearly listed at the beginning of each pattern so you know what you need (like buttons!) before you begin. The headings for each row or round are in bold print and shown in a different color font so you can easily keep track of your position in the pattern.
Included designs are:
- Carefree – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy+, 1 skein of yarn, worked from bottom up
- Daydream – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy, 2 skeins of yarn, worked from top down
- Intrigue – Hook: 5 mm (H), Easy, 1 skein of yarn, worked from bottom up
- Captivating Cable – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy, 1 skein of yarn, worked from bottom up
- Vintage Lace – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy+, 1 skein of yarn, worked from top down, seamed and band added after
- Casual Chic (pictured on the front cover) – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy, 2 skeins of yarn, worked from bottom up
- Trendsetter – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy, 2 skeins of yarn, worked from bottom up
- Time Traveler – Hook: 5 mm (H), Easy+, 1 skein of yarn, worked from top down
- Pinstripes – Hook: 6 mm (J), Easy, 2 skeins of yarn, worked from top down
- Cobblestones – Hook: 5 mm (H), Easy+, 1 skein of yarn, worked from bottom up
Along with the abbreviations, symbols & terms and gauge information, the General Instructions include instructions on the following stitches and techniques:
- Joining with sc and dc
- working in the back ridge of a stitch
- working in the free loops of a chain
- working in the back or front loops only
- post stitches
- working into a space before a stitch
- how to weave through the stitches
- how to close the top of the hat
Some of these techniques include diagrams as well as written instructions.
The yarns used to crochet the samples in the book include: Lion Brand Heartland, Lion Brand Amazing, Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, Red Heart Soft and Red Heart with Love.
I love a number of the hat designs included in this book, but my favorite 3 are:
- Casual Chic
- Vintage Lace
The finished hat heights have not been provided so be sure to closely look at the images included to decide if the hat will be ‘slouchy’ enough for you! If you wear them lower on your forehead they may not be as slouchy as you like. I personally prefer a smaller slouch to my hats so most of these would work perfectly for me.
Would you like to win a eBook copy of Urban Slouch Hats?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law.
Start Date: September 5, 2017; 12:00 am ET
End Date: September 12, 2016, 11:59 pm ET
In order to enter the giveaway, you must have (or be willing to sign up for) a free Leisure Arts dot com account. If you do not have one yet, you can sign up here:
If you cannot see the Rafflecopter Widget Above, please click >HERE< to enter!
If you are not the lucky winner of the giveaway and you would like to purchase your own copy of Urban Slouch Hats, you can get it directly from Leisure Arts:
I’d like to thank Leisure Arts, Inc. for providing me with the review copy of Urban Slouch Hats and for the giveaway copy for my readers!