Classic Crochet Shawls includes 20 lovely feminine shawl designs. These designs were curated from various Interweave Publications (books and magazines) and include shawls perfect for many different occasions, seasons and styles.
Title: Classic Crochet Shawls
Publisher: Interweave Books, an imprint of F+W Media Inc.
Classic Crochet Shawls
Classic Crochet Shawls features more than 12 Crochet Designers and I love how each pattern indicates who is responsible for the design. You can read more about each of the Designers at the end of the publication on page 126.
Many crochet techniques and styles have been used to create these beautiful shawls. This makes each design unique and different and allows you to choose from a wide variety of styles and stitches.
You will find shawls crocheted with:
- top down construction
- bottom up construction
- side to side construction
- circular construction
- point to point construction
The patterns are written in American Crochet Terms. Each pattern begins with the details of the project, including the finished size, yarn or thread you will need, hook sizes, notions needed and gauge.
Following this is the Notes section and Stitch Guide. The Stitch Guide includes all the special stitches you need to work in the pattern and it also gives you the written explanation of how to make the stitches. I like this because you do not need to flip back and forth to the Glossary section to know how to make the special stitches.
Crochet Stitch Patterns
Shawls have been included using various stitch patterns. Some of the stitches and stitch patterns included are filet crochet, broomstick lace, shell stitches, fan stitches, motifs and Lover’s Knot patterns. Detailed diagrams, stitch charts and construction diagrams have been provided.
The text of the patterns is clear and easy to read. The headings and titles for the sections use alternate fonts (italicized or script) and the Round and Row Numbers are in a bold font so you can find them easily. The images included are beautiful to look at, in full color and show a lot of stitch detail for the designs being worked.
The yarns used in the projects featured in Classic Crochet Shawls come from various sources including: Berroco, Blue Heron Yarns, Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Inc., Fyberspates; Knit One, Crochet Too, Lion Brand Yarns, The Loopy Ewe, Lotus Yarns, Madelinetosh, Malabrigo, Manos Del Uruguay, Miss Babs Hand-Dyed Yarns & Fibers, Pierrot Yarns, Rowan, Shibui, Spud and Chloe and Universal Yarns. Each source includes an online website address to help you find the yarns used in the projects if you do not want to substitute.
The Glossary Section on page 123-125 includes basic crochet stitches and decrease stitches you will need to know to crochet the patterns. A written explanation of how to complete the stitches is included along with a diagrams outlining the steps you need to make to complete the stitches.
The Shawls included are:
- Eolande – Kathryn White – Crochet Thread and 1.65 mm (Size 7) Steel Hook
- Emergence – Kathryn White – Fingering Weight and 2.75 mm (C/2) Hook
- Endymion – Sara Kay Hartmann – Worsted Weight and 6 mm (J/10) Hook and 5 mm (H/8) Hook for the edging
- Buttercream Shawl – Anne Petavy – Laceweight and 3.5 mm (E/4) Hook
- Jessamine – Sara Kay Hartmann – DK Weight and 4 mm (G/6) Hook
- Bolt Shawl – Beth Nielsen – Fingering Weight and 3.25 mm (D/3) Hook
- Tres Chic Neck Warmer – Mary Jane Hall – Worsted Weight and 6 mm (J/10) Hook
- Blue Lagoon Swirling Hexagon Shawl – Kristin Omdahl – Chunky Weight and 5.5 mm (I/9) Hook
- Flying Broomstick Lace Shawl – Brenda K.B. Anderson – Sportweight and 5 mm (H/8) Hook
- Parisian Gardens Circular Shawl – Mary Jane Hall – Laceweight and 4 mm (G/6) Hook
- Tiffany Shawl – Jill Wright – Laceweight and 3.5 mm (E/4) Hook
- Dover – Sara Kay Hartmann – DK Weight and 3.75 mm (F/5) Hook
- Orchid Faroese Shawl – Kristin Omdahl – Fingering Weight and 3.25 mm (D/3) Hook and 6 mm (I/10) Hook
- Pleiades Shawl – Chelsea Norquay-Wales – Fingering Weight and 5 mm (H/8) Hook
- Almandine Shawlette – Anastasia Popova – Fingering Weight and 3.5 mm (E/8) Hook
- Torchlight Shawl – Jennifer Raymond – Sport Weight and 4 mm (G/6) Hook
- All-In-One Shawl – Karen Whooley – Fingering Weight and 3.5 mm (E/8) Hook
- Sausalito Sparkle Shawl – Kristin Omdahl – Laceweight and 5 mm (H/8) Hook
- Shifting Shawl – April Garwood – DK Weight and 4 mm (G/6) Hook
- Amelie Triangular Shawl – Mary Jane Hall – DK Weight and 5.5 mm (I/9) Hook
Here’s a little look inside:
To see more images please visit Interweave here: Classic Crochet Shawls
There are many beautiful shawl designs included in Classic Crochet Shawls.
My favorites include:
Dover – see above images
Eolande – see above images
Would you like to win a copy of Classic Crochet Shawls?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law.
Start Date: July 18, 2017; 12:00 am ET
End Date: July 25, 2017, 11:59 pm ET
If you can not see the Rafflecopter Widget, please ENTER HERE.
If you are not the winner of the Giveaway and you would still like to have you own copy of Classic Crochet Shawls, you can purchase your book directly from Interweave!
I would like to thank Interweave Books, an imprint of F+W Media Inc. for both the Review and Giveaway Copy of Classic Crochet Shawls.