The Lemonade Newborn Baby Hat crochet pattern was originally published as My Handsome Prince Newborn Hat in 2014 but I have revised the written pattern slightly to make it easier to follow. I think you will prefer this version as the repeat sections to build height for the hat are the same instructions for each round – you will no longer need to remember which of the two repeat rounds you are working in order to make the pattern stitch turn out correctly.
If you would prefer a little more ‘ribbing’ at the edge of the hat, stop the repeat rounds after R15; R16: work 1 round of hdc and then work R17-R19 following the instructions of R19.
For a hat height of 4.5 inches stop at R16 and then proceed to R18. This will give you a mid-ear length hat.
For a hat which will reach to the base of the earlobe – the hat needs to be approximately 5 inches in height. Complete the instructions as written below.
Lemonade Newborn Baby Hat Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart Anne Geddes Baby Yarn  Light weight yarn. (Solids: 3.5 oz (100 g), 340 yds (310 m)) – Color: Daffodil (total used 21 g/65 m)
Please note, Anne Geddes Baby Yarn has been discontinued. Please substitute Red Heart Baby Hugs Light Yarn.
- Hook: 4.5 mm Clover Amour Crochet Hook
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker (optional)
Newborn: Hat Height 5 inches; Hat width (when on a flat surface) 6.50 inches. The finished circumference of this hat is 13″ around and it will stretch approximately 1.5 – 2 inches to fit an average size Newborn Head
For a Mid Ear Length Hat of 4.5 inches stop at R16 and then proceed to R18 and continue the pattern.
12 sts (worked in pattern – this means you need to measure you gauge working rounds between R 8-17 ) = 3″; 12 rounds = 3″
US Terminology used
ch – chain
BPhdc – back post half double crochet
FPhdc – front post half double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
MR – magic ring
R – row/round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- The hat is worked in continuous rounds (spirals). Do not need to slip stitch to join the rounds together.
- Stitch Space – work the stitch into the space between the posts of the stitches. When you do this it will enclose the front loop, back loop and back bar of the half double crochet.
Lemonade Newborn Baby Hat Crochet Pattern InstructionsLemonade Newborn Baby Hat Free Pattern. #redheartyarns #joycreatorsClick To Tweet
R1: 10 hdc in magic ring. 
R2: 2 hdc in each st around. 
R3: *1 hdc in the next st, 2 hdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** 10 times. 
R4: *1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 hdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** 10 times. 
R5: *1 hdc in each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** 9 times. (1 hdc in the next st, 2 hdc in the next st) 2 times. 
R6: *sk the next st, 2 hdc in the next st, 1 hdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** 17 times. 
R7: *2 hdc in the next st space, 1 hdc in the next st, skip the next st**. Rep from * to ** 17 times 
R8-17: repeat R7 
R18: 1 hdc in each st around 
R19: *1 FPhdc in the next st, 1 BPhdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** around; finish off with an invisible join and weave in ends