Love Is In The Air Valentine’s Cowl Pattern
- Yarn: Sirdar Cotton Rich Aran which I purchased from Deramores [200 m / 219 yds /100 g] (60% Cotton, 40% Acrylic) MC: Shale, CC: Clamshell – this is an Aran weight yarn from the UK – you can substitute a medium weight yarn  for very similar gauge and results. I did use a cotton blend and it gives it lovely stitch definition but acrylic will also work 🙂
- Hook: 5 mm (H) Furls Blackwood
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker (optional)
35 inches wide by 12 inches tall
3 sets of hearts or 3 sets of (3 dc, ch 1) = 3 inches
2 rows = 1 inch
US Terminology used
CC – contrast color
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
MC – main color
ps – puff stitch
R – row/round
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
Puff Stitch (ps) – *Yarn over the hook, insert the hook into the indicated stitch, yarn over and pull up 1 loop**; repeat from * to ** two more times. You will have 7 loops on your hook, yarn over and pull through all 7 loops to complete the stitch.
This project is worked flat, back and forth in rows and then seamed together using a whipstitch seam. I recommend you leave a bit of a yarn tail to allow you to seam each color section with the same color yarn.
After you have seamed the project using with your yarn ends, you will add one round of single crochet around the entire top and entire bottom of the cowl to give it a more finished look.
Skip all stitches not specifically mentioned in the instructions.
MC is gray, CC is pink
Pattern InstructionsLOVE is in the AIR Valentine's Cowl - Free Pattern - Make one today!
R1: Ch 124, 1 dc in the 5th ch from the hook (sk 4 ch count as 1 sk ch and 1 dc), 1 dc in each of the next 2 chs, ch 1, sk 1 ch. *1 dc in each of the next 3 chs, ch 1, sk 1**. Rep from * to ** across to the last 4 chs; 1 dc in each of the last 4 chs. Finish off MC. Turn. [92 dc, 29 ch1sp]
R2: Join CC1 with 1 hdc in the first dc. Work *1 ps, ch 4, 1 ps, ch 1** in the 2nd dc of each set of 3 dc across; sk all other sts until you reach the final dc of the row. Work 1 dc in the last hdc of the row. Finish off CC1. Turn. [60 ps, 30 ch4sp, 30 ch1sp, 2 hdc]
R3: Join MC with 1 dc in the first hdc. Work *3 dc, ch 1** in each ch4sp across, to the final ch4sp; sk all other sts. Work 3 dc in the final ch4sp and 1 dc in the final hdc. Finish off MC. Turn. [92 dc, 29 ch1sp]
R4-23: Rep R2 and R3.
Seam your cowl using the yarn ends left from each row you crocheted. Weave in any remaining ends.
Join MC with 1 sc in any dc from R23. Work 1 sc in each dc and ch1sp around. Finish off with an invisible join and weave in ends.
Join MC with 1 sc in the base of any ch from R1 and work 1 sc in the base of each ch around; finish off with an invisible join and weave in ends.