I recently received a fantastic surprise package in the mail from Red Heart! Thank you Red Heart for sending me your new Baby Hugs Yarn to try!
Baby Hugs yarn by Red Heart is tested and OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Class I certified – this means the yarn has been tested for more than 300 harmful substances and found to be safe for use! It is also colorfast and can be machine washed and dried. Plus – Baby Hugs is made in the U.S.A. and includes the Confidence in Textiles label.
Beyond the fantastic safety, functionality and ease of care of the yarn – Baby Hugs is one of the softest yarns I have ever worked with. The stitches still retain lovely definition and the finished hat is beautifully soft to the touch.
Perfect for baby hats, chemo caps and all your charity crochet projects.
Baby Hugs is available in both Light and Medium Weight yarn in a great color range including – 18-colors. Plus – something I am excited to see – these are not just pastels! There are bright colors and even black available!The Perfect Hat for Babies and Chemo Caps - Sweet Little Baby Hugs Hats - a free crochet pattern for all your charity crochet hat projects.
I of course wanted to make something and here is your first free pattern from the first ball of yarn! The Newborn to Adult Large available too 🙂
This hat is designed to reach the base of the earlobe, if you would like a mid-ear height hat please adjust the pattern as follows:
Preemie – decrease repeat rounds by 2 (i.e. of Round 5)
I think you are going to like the way I’ve designed this hat – there is practically no seam AND it ends almost exactly even on the final round so there is basically no slant/angle to the stitches on the final round 🙂 Let me know what you think once you are done and please if you are on Ravelry feel free to add your projects! I love seeing them and often feature photos from them on Ravelry 🙂
Sweet Little Baby Hugs Preemie Hat
- Baby Hugs Light – Sample Uses Dolphin (no dye lot). 100% Acrylic, 4.5 oz/127 g (318 yds/290m)
- 5 mm (H) crochet hook
- Scissors, Yarn Needle, Stitch Marker (optional)Difficulty Level
Newborn to Adult is available in this post.
3 sts and 3 rounds per inch
US Terminology used
beg – beginning
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
MR – magic ring / adjustable loop
R – row/round
RS – right side
rem – remaining
rep – repeat
sk – skip
st/sts – stitch/stitches
* – Repeat the instructions between the asterisks the number of times indicated. This repeat will contain of multiple instructions.
() – Repeat the instructions between the parentheses the number of times indicated.
 – at the end of the row – the total number of stitches
- Do not sl st to join unless indicated.
- This hat is worked in continuous spirals – you do not sl st to join or chain additional stitches at the end of the rounds – you may wish to use a stitch marker to mark your place.
- If you want to have color changes in your hat I recommend finishing off with an invisible join at the end of one round and then rejoining in your new color for the first st of the next round using a standing double crochet stitch. This will make the color change nice and neat!
- These hats are based on maths – to standard head sizes. Not all heads will be the standard size – I mean honestly – we are human and we are all different. Gauge is super important for fitted garments – especially items like hats! So, if you are substituting yarn and hook be sure you understand how to check your gauge properly – or else your hat may not fit.
Sweet Little Baby Hugs Preemie Hat
Sized to fit 12″ head circumference; hat height 4.5″.
This is written as a solid hat color.
R1: 8 hdc in a MR 
R2: 2 hdc in each st around 
R3: 1 dc in the first st, 2 hdc in the next st. *1 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st**. Rep from * to ** 7 times. 
R4: 1 dc in the first st, 1 hdc in the next st, 2 hdc in the next st. *1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st**. Rep from * to ** 7 times. 
R5: 1 dc in the first st, 1 hdc in each rem st around. 
R6-13: Rep R5
R14: *1 FPdc in the next st, 1 BPdc in the next st**. Rep from * to ** around. 
R15: Rep R14, finish of with an invisible join and weave in ends. 
If you would prefer not to have the edging (R14 & R15) you can substitute 2 additional rounds of R5; then finish off with an invisible join and weave in ends. This will make a hat which is easy to fold back and to fit multiple preemie head sizes 🙂