Title: One Ball of Yarn
Published By: Dorling Kindersley, 2015
Photographer: Ruth Jenkinson
There really are a lot of projects you can make with one ball of yarn. More than 25 different patterns have been included for you to choose from.
Patterns included are (Pattern Name, Knitting or Crochet, Difficulty Level):
- Neon Beanie – knitting – beginner
- Honeycomb Infinity Scarf – crochet – beginner
- Hot Diggity Dog Bone – crochet – beginner
- Industrial Rubber Clutch – knitting – experienced
- Baby’s Day Out Hat – knitting – beginner
- Sunshine Handbag – crochet – beginner
- Lazy Bones Basket – crochet – beginner
- Urban Pom-Pom Beanie – knitting – moderate
- Live Wire Cuff Bracelet – crochet – beginner
- Slouchy Socks – knitting – experienced
- Dapper Dog – crochet – beginner
- Texting Gloves – knitting – moderate
- You & Me Beanie – knitting – moderate
- Color-Pop Clutch – crochet – beginner
- Peekaboo Hand Warmers – crochet – moderate
- Ribbed Fisherman’s Cowl – knitting – beginner
- Too Cool For School Beanie – crochet – beginner
- Lovely Leg Warmers – knitting – beginner
- Pretty in Pink Slippers – knitting – moderate
- Walter’s Sweater –knitting – moderate
- Double-time Hat – crochet – beginner
- All Tied Up – crochet -beginner
- Epic Ear Warmer – knitting -moderate
- Sea Monster Teaser – knitting – moderate
- Granny-Chic Change Purse – crochet – moderate
- Textured Scarf – knitting – moderate
Each pattern begins with a You Will Need section and includes the Difficulty level, finished Size, the Yarn you need, the Crochet hook, the Notions and the Gauge information. Then the pattern walks you through how to make the project and the finishing instructions.
The patterns are followed by a Techniques Section which walks you through the tools for crochet and knitting. You will find the following techniques:
- Casting On – Backward Loop Cast-On, Cable Cast-On, Long-Tail Cast-On, Crochet Cast-On
- Casting Off – Casting Off Knitwise, Casting Off Purlwise
- Knit & Purl Stitches – Knit Stitch, Purl Stitch
- Continental Knitting – Continental Style (holding the yarn), Continental Knit Stitch, Continental Purl Stitch, Garter Stitch, Stockinette Stitch, Single Ribbing, Knitting through Back of Loop, Slipping Stitches Purlwise, Slipping Stitches Knitwise
- Increases – “Make One” Left Leaning Increase on a Knit Row, “Make One” Increase on Purl Row, Multiple Increase, Yarn Over Between Knit Stitches, Yarn Over Between Purl Stitches
- Decreases – Knit Two Together, Purl Two Together; Slip, Slip, Knit; Slip One, Knit One, Pass Slipped Stitch Over, Knit Three Together, Purl Three Together
- Working With a Circular Needle
- Cables – Cable 4 Back, Cable 4 Front
- Foundation Chain – counting chain stitches, slip stitches, fastening off chain and slip stitches, parts of stitches,
- Single Crochet
- Half Double Crochet
- Double Crochet
- Single Crochet Decrease
- Half Double Decrease
- Circles & Rings – closing chain stitches into a ring; making a magic, adjustable ring; flat circles
- Working into the Back Loop, Working into the Front Loop, Working into Spaces Between Stitches, Working into a Chain Stitch, Single Crochet Edging
Finishing & Seams
- Wet Blocking
- Steam Blocking
- Darning in an End
- Edge to Edge Seam
- Mattress Stitch
- Backstitch Seam, Whipstitch Seam
- Attaching Snaps
My favourite knitting design in the book is Slouchy Socks and my favourite crochet design Granny Chic Change Purse. To be honest, I loved many of the knitting patterns included in this book. The Epic Ear Warmer and Pom Pom Beanie are gorgeous too!
One Ball of Yarn has a little bit of everything – for a variety of experience levels and tastes.
ADDED November 2, 2015:
Slouchy socks pattern.
Amendments are in red font.
Row 51: P2tog, [k2, m1p, p8, m1p, k2, p2tog] 4 times. (61 sts).
Row 52: K1, p2 [k10, p2, p2tog, p1] 3 times, k10, p2, k1 (58 sts).
Row 89: [K1, p1] 10 times, p2tog, [k2, m1p, p4, m1p, k2, p2tog] 2 times (43 sts).
Row 90: K1, p2, k6, p1, p2tog, p2, k6, p2, k1, p20 (42 sts).
Row 93: [K1, p1] 10 times, p1, m1p, k2, p2tog, p2, p2tog, k2, p1, m1p, k2, p2tog, p2, p2tog,k2, m1p, p1. (remove st count from here)
One Ball of Yarn is part of the DK Craft Boutique. You can check out the other great picks in the DK Craft Boutique here:
If you would like to purchase your own copy of One Ball of Yarn, it is available on Amazon.
Shopping from Canada
Shopping from the US
Shopping from the UK