Get Started in Macrame includes 11 Macrame Projects for Beginners. You will learn how to make wall hangings, bags, hanging baskets and more, using the 7 different Macrame Knots explained in this book.
[disclaimer]I received a copy of this book to review from Leisure Arts. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. This post includes affiliate links. If you purchase this book after you click on one of my affiliate links in the post, I will receive a small commission for referring you, at no additional cost to you.[/disclaimer]
Title: Get Started in Macrame
Designer: Kristi Simpson
Publisher: Leisure Arts, Inc., August 1, 2018
Get Started in Macrame
I have never tried Macrame before. I really want to and I have admired the beautiful knots that are used to make Macrame projects but I have never set aside time to learn this new skill.
I decided that this book would be a great place for me to start.
When you first open this book, be sure to turn to page 29 and read the General Instructions section. It includes the basic supplies you need, the terms that are used and the different knots you will need to tie for the projects. The knots section includes diagrams and written instructions.
Macrame Knots Used for these Projects
- Diagonal Clove Hitch
- Horizontal Clove Hitch
- Lark’s Head Knot
- Overhand Knot
- Square Knot
- Half Square Knot
- Wrapped Knot
After you have reviewed the information, pick your Macrame Project! There are 11 different beginner Macrame projects to choose from.
- Key Chain. Supplies: Cotton Cording & 1 inch diameter split-ring key ring
- Rug. Supplies: 4 mm braided macrame craft cord and painter’s tape. Finished Size: 18 inches X 18 inches.
- Pillow. Supplies: Super Bulky Yarn  and 14 inch square pillow. Finished Size: 14 inch square
- Hanging Baskets. Supplies: Super Bulky Yarn , natural colored wood embroidery hoops (8 inch and 10 inch diameter), large eye needle and craft glue. Finished Size: 10 inch diameter and 23 inches long.
- Table Runner. Supplies: Super Bulky Yarn  and painter’s tape. Finished Size: 10 inches X 30 inches (excluding fringe).
- Window Valance. Supplies: 100% Cotton (4-ply) Medium Weight Yarn  and a cafe-style curtain rod for your desired window. Finished Size: 32 inches wide.
- Flip-Flops. Supplies: 100% Cotton (4-ply) Medium Weight Yarn , flip flops (straps removed), hot glue gun and glue sticks (or fabric glue).
- Wall Hanging. Supplies: Super Bulky Yarn  and a 27 inch long branch (half inch to an inch diameter). Finished Size: 18 inches wide and 36 inches long.
- Tote Bag. Supplies: 2 mm braided Macrame craft cord, craft glue and a large eye needle. Finished Size: 10 inches deep X 12.5 inches wide.
- Necklace. Supplies: Cotton braiding cord and a 17.5 inch wire necklace.
- Chandelier. Supplies: Super Bulky Yarn  and natural colored wood embroidery hoops (10 inch and 12 inch diameter). Finished Size: 12 inches diameter X 50 inches long
More images are available here.
Fibers Used to Make these Macrame Projects
- Cotton Cording
- Super Bulky Acrylic Yarn 
My Favorite Designs
My favorite designs are the Window Valance, the Key Chain, the Necklace and the Hanging Baskets.
Which one is your favorite?
I really think it would be fun to try Macrame and this book is a good place to start. The beginner projects seem to be well explained and the General Instructions include detailed knot tying instructions and diagrams. I do wish there was a step-by-step photo tutorial, or a video tutorial linked, to demonstrate how to make one of the projects from start to finish. All the information is provided in the book though so you can, with a little time and patience work through the instructions to make your chosen project. If you have never tried Macrame before either, I think the best place to begin is the very first pattern in the book (the keychain), the necklace, or the Hanging Baskets.
Would you like to win an eBook copy of Get Started in Macrame?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law.
Void in Quebec.
Start Date: November 23, 2019; 12:00 am ET
End Date: November 30, 2019, 11:59 pm ET
In order to enter the giveaway, you must have (or be willing to sign up for) a free Leisure Arts dot com account. If you do not have one yet, you can sign up here:
If you can’t see the Rafflecopter widget below, please click >HERE< to enter.
If you are not the lucky winner of the giveaway and you would like to purchase your own copy of Get Started in Macrame, it is available from Leisure Arts:
Check out my other Leisure Arts Reviews >HERE<
I’d like to thank Leisure Arts, Inc. for providing me with the review copy of Get Started in Macrame and for the giveaway copy for my readers!