100 Micro Crochet Motifs includes patterns and charts for you to make tiny creations for jewelry and crafts. Plus, if you upsize the hook and yarn you can make them into larger finished items too.
[disclaimer]I received a copy of this book to review from David & Charles. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. If you purchase this book after you click on one of my affiliate links in the post, I will receive a small commission for referring you, at no additional cost to you.[/disclaimer]
For anyone interested in branching out into thread crochet and jewelry making, this gem of a book is exactly what you need to get started!
100 Micro Crochet Motifs
100 Micro Crochet Motifs is filled with gorgeous projects you can crochet. It also includes detailed information about working with threads, steel crochet hooks and information about making jewelry from your mini masterpieces.
On a personal note, I have always been interested in trying thread crochet and making crocheted jewelry to wear. I already have jewelry findings and steel hooks on hand, so when David & Charles mailed me this book, I was very excited to make the time to try one of the projects. This being said…
I recommend you read page 6 and 7 before you get distracted by any of the lovely projects you can make. Or else, you will (like I did) jump right in and go for the smallest thread (yes – I sourced and ordered it online from Fabricland) and then struggle to recreate the beautiful project.
I did manage to make a little flower (Pink Perennial) with my Gutermann Hand Quilting Cotton in Bright Pink and a very sharp tipped 12 steel crochet hook (I never realized they were so sharp!). It looks like a flower – so I will take that as a giant win – but if I’d read the note on page 7 that states:
Reduce thread weight and crochet hook size gradually to get used to working at a micro-scale.Steffi Glaves
I would have begun with a heavier thread, or embroidery floss first – then worked my way to the pretty quilting cotton (the colors are gorgeous in the Gutermann line).
In summary – read pages 6-9. Then flip to page 114 and read the Holding Your Work (don’t skip the bit where it mentions the rubber thimble…) and then read Starting out.
Then start crocheting these bright and colorful micro crochet motifs!
100 Micro Crochet Motif Crochet Patterns
The book is organized into 10-themed chapters, each filled with fun projects you can make. These can all be sized up to be crocheted with DK Weight Yarn  and a larger crochet hook so do not be afraid of the patterns – they are perfect for many purposes!
- Flowers: forget-me-not, cherry blossom, sunflower/daisy, orchid, pansy, lobelia, poppy, pink perennial, sentimental blue, Vinca circle, folded clematis and Flower Jewelry
- Leaves: four leaf clover, oak leaf, standard leaf, granny leaf, eye leaf, heart leaf, frilly edge leaf, five point leaf, ivy strand, ivy leaf and Ivy Strand Bracelet
- Celestial: lightning bolt, raindrop, cloud, rainbow, sun, star, moon, 3D rainbow, 3D star pillow, ringed planet and Mis-Matched Planet Earrings
- Food: doughnut, macaron, carrot cake, watermelon, Venetian slice, cucumber sandwich, fried egg, avocado, teapot, cuppa tea and Amigurumi Cake Slice
- Blanket Squares: scalloped square, classic square with border, 3D ruffle square, puff flower square, hexagon wheel, frilly edge square, lacy Granny square, floral envelope square, circle square, hexagon rose and Envelope Belt Purse and Necklace
- Sea Life: spiral shell, starfish, goldfish, seaweed, turtle, clam shell, classic fish, sand dollar, boat, manta ray and Clam Shell Pendant
- Occasions: holly leaf, snowflake, Danish heart, Invitation envelope, Granny heart, lace heart, bat, pumpkin, skull, egg and Danish Heart Mini Pendant
- Mandalas: Sarah, Kirsty, Mattea, Caroline, Denise, Moira, Kate, Rosa, Rowan, Molly and Framed Mandala
- Bunting: triangle, striped triangle, chevron, space invader, rainbow flag, layered leaf, heart, textured heart, tiny bag, tiny house and Cake Topper
- Animals: bumblebee, mouse, bird, bunny, fox face, butterfly, cat face, hen, elephant and Meadow Embroidery Hoop
Take a closer look at more of the projects you can make here: 100 Micro Crochet Motifs
Try a sample project here: 100 Micro Crochet Motifs Extra Project – Alternative Pink Perennial and Meet Steffi Glaves (interview)
This bright and colorful pattern book is 124-pages in length. The patterns are written in UK crochet terms. The charts use universal crochet symbols and a reference chart is provided on page 116 to convert the UK to US terms for those who prefer working from written instructions.
The stitch counts are included in italics and in ( ) parentheses at the end of the pattern rows and rounds.
The Crochet Basics section begins on page 116. It includes the crochet stitch terminology, symbol meanings in UK and US crochet terms and instructions on how to read crochet charts in rows and in rounds.
These are the stitches used for the projects:
|Abbreviation||UK Meaning||US Meaning|
|ss||slip stitch||slip stitch|
|ch||chain stitch||chain stitch|
|dc||double crochet||single crochet (sc)|
|dc2tog||double crochet 2 together||single crochet 2 together (sc2tog)|
|htr||half treble crochet||half double crochet (hdc)|
|tr||treble crochet||double crochet (dc)|
|dtr||double treble crochet||treble crochet (tr)|
|ttr||triple treble crochet||double treble crochet (dtr)|
|tr2tog, tr3tog, tr4tog…||treble 2 together|
treble 3 together
treble 4 together
|double crochet 2 together (dc2tog)|
double crochet 3 together (dc3tog)
double crochet 4 together (dc4tog)
|back-dc||back double crochet or crab stitch||back single crochet or crab stitch (back-sc)|
|FP||Front Post||Front Post|
|BP||Back Post||Back Post|
The Special Stitches are included beginning on page 118. The instructions are detailed and they include step-by-step diagrams and images to help you master the crochet skills you need to make these projects.
Special Stitches & Techniques
- Magic circle or ring
- Magic ring alternative
- Back-double crochet or crab stitch
- Ss, 1ch edging
- Surface Crochet
- Whip Stitch
- Invisible slip stitch
- Changing Color half-way through a row
Jewelry Techniques are included beginning on page 124. Instructions for opening jump rings, attaching jump rings, making pendants, making dangly earrings and making earrings with studs are all outlined.
My favorite designs from 100 Micro Crochet Motifs are:
- Floral Envelope Square (plus the necklace project), Clam Shell Pendant, Danish Heart Mini Pendant and the Bumblebee (I think he would look great in my houseplants!).
Leave me a comment to tell me which of the designs are your favorites?
You can see more of the projects here.
Would you like to have your own copy of 100 Micro Crochet Motifs?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law.
Void in Quebec.
Start Date: April 22, 2021 12:00 am ET
End Date: May 10, 2021, 11:59 pm ET
If you can not see the Rafflecopter Widget below, please click >HERE<a Rafflecopter giveaway
If you are not the winner of the Giveaway and you would still like to have your own copy of 100 Micro Crochet Motifs, you can purchase your book at Amazon:
I would like to thank David & Charles for both the review and giveaway copy of 100 Micro Crochet Motifs.
Read my other Book Reviews >HERE<
*Prices subject to change*
*Giveaway is for 1 copy of the Book*