You can crochet one of these 10 Overlay Crochet Projects for Your Home too.
[disclaimer]I received a copy of this book to review from Leisure Arts. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. This post includes affiliate links. If you purchase this book after you click on one of my affiliate links in the post, I will receive a small commission for referring you, at no additional cost to you.[/disclaimer]
Title: Overlay Crochet
Author: Kristi Simpson
Publisher: Leisure Arts, Inc., 2019
There are 10 different projects you can make with the patterns included in Overlay Crochet. Choose from a basket, a blanket (made up of 8 inch afghan squares), a crossbody bag, a mandala, a pillow, a pouf, a doily rug, a towel, a placemat or a coaster set.
The patterns range in difficulty from BASIC to INTERMEDIATE.
What is Overlay Crochet?
Overlay Crochet is a technique that creates texture and dimension by occasionally layering crochet stitches on-top of one another. There are a few different ways to achieve this effect. One of these ways is by working in the back loop of stitches for the background of the project and then in later rounds (rows) returning to add stitches into some of the unworked front loops.
This layering effect creates an added level of dimension to the project, where the stitches stand above the background fabric. It is a very pretty way to add an extra element to a project and is used frequently in Crocheted Mandala Projects.
- Basket. BASIC. Size: 9.5 inches long X 7 inches wide X 3.75 deep. Hook: 4 mm (G)
- Blanket. EASY. Size: 26 inches X 42 inches. Hook: 6 mm (J). Assembly Diagram included.
- Crossbody Bag. EASY. Size: 10 inches diameter. Hook: 5 mm (H).
- Mandala. EASY. Size: 10 inches diameter. Hook: 4 mm (G).
- Pillow. INTERMEDIATE. Size: 14 inches square. Hook: 4 mm (G).
- Pouf. EASY. Size: 65 inches diameter X 13 inches high. Hook: 5 mm (H).
- Doily Rug. EASY. Size: 25 inches diameter. Hook: 5 mm (H).
- Towel. EASY. Size: 17 inches X 16 inches. Hook: 4 mm (G).
- Placemat & Coaster Set. EASY. Size: Placemat: 11 inches X 16 inches. Coaster: 5 inches diameter. Hook: 4 mm (G).
More images are available here.
Each pattern is in American Crochet Terms. The instructions are written out in full, the stitch counts are provided. Each Rnd (round) or Row heading is displayed in bold font and italics are used to indicate important information. Very important information (“Work in Back Loops Only through Rnd 13.” or “Work with right side facing throughout.“) is written in a different color. If a special stitch is being used in the pattern, the written instructions for it will be included in the individual Pattern’s Stitch Guide after the Gauge information.
The projects have been crocheted in bright and cheery yarn colors. Every project is crocheted with medium weight yarn .
The Yarn Used to Create these Projects
- Red Heart® Scrubby Smoothie™ (Basket)
- Bernat® Handicrafter® Cotton (Blanket, Crossbody Bag, Pouf, Placemat & Coaster Set)
- Lion Brand® 24/7 Cotton® (Mandala, Pillow, Towel)
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (Doily Rug)
Abbreviations, symbols and terms are included on page 58. Special notes about Gauge and Markers are also included. The Crochet Terms include a written explanation and a diagram (for some) to help you master the stitch and/or technique.
- Joining with single crochet, joining with double crochet and joining with back post single crochet stitches.
- Back Ridge
- Top Loops, Back Loop Only, Free Loops
- Post Stitch
- Changing Colors
- Working in a space before a stitch
- Working in front of, around, or behind a stitch
- Working in a horizontal bar
- Reverse Single Crochet
The projects included in Overlay Crochet are bright and cheerful. They will add a fun decorative touch to your home and they will also make great gifts. I especially love the Pillow and the Doily Rug designs.
Would you like to win an eBook copy of Overlay Crochet?
Here’s how you can enter for a chance to win!
This Giveaway is open worldwide where allowed by law. Void in Quebec.
Start Date: July 2, 2019; 12:00 am ET
End Date: July 9, 2019, 11:59 pm ET
In order to enter the giveaway, you must have (or be willing to sign up for) a free Leisure Arts dot com account. If you do not have one yet, you can sign up here:
If you can’t see the Rafflecopter widget below, please click >HERE< to enter.
If you are not the lucky winner of the giveaway and you would like to purchase your own copy of Overlay Crochet directly from Leisure Arts:
Overlay Crochet – 10 Projects that Add Dimensions and Style to Your Home
Check out my other Leisure Arts Reviews >HERE<
I’d like to thank Leisure Arts, Inc. for providing me with the review copy of Overlay Crochet! and for the giveaway copy for my readers!